Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you manage 2 apple ID's in iTunes?

I've been an apple user for quite some time but my wife is making the transition to an iPhone from an android. Since we have 1 computer, a MacBook Air, I was wondering how you can manage both phones/apple Id's using 1 iTunes? I do not want to blend her contacts, calendar, appointments, apps, photos and music with mine so they need to be kept separate but I want all of her stuff and all of my stuff backed up and available on the one MacBook Air.

Thank you in advance for your help.

MacBook Air, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Oct 23, 2018 6:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2018 7:10 AM

Ok there are two options for you the first is to use seperate ID's in iTunes, as your wife is switching from android to iOS she likely already has an apple account meaning when you use itunes you sign in to your account and when she uses it she signs out of yours and into hers. Everything you do in itunes including syncing of files is specific to the account currently signed into.

This is a bit of a pain, every time you switch itunes will need to reload everything for the other account.

The second better option is to create a 2nd user account on the computer, she could use that account solely or could simply switch to it to sync her iPhone. Creating a new account is done by clicking the + symbol under Users and Groups in settings.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2018 7:10 AM in response to MZXII

Ok there are two options for you the first is to use seperate ID's in iTunes, as your wife is switching from android to iOS she likely already has an apple account meaning when you use itunes you sign in to your account and when she uses it she signs out of yours and into hers. Everything you do in itunes including syncing of files is specific to the account currently signed into.

This is a bit of a pain, every time you switch itunes will need to reload everything for the other account.

The second better option is to create a 2nd user account on the computer, she could use that account solely or could simply switch to it to sync her iPhone. Creating a new account is done by clicking the + symbol under Users and Groups in settings.

How do you manage 2 apple ID's in iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.