Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipod warranty

I purchased a 20gb ipod just under 2 years ago. I plugged it into my computer and the ipod screen went blue and smelled of burnt electronics. I contacted tech support, they told me that it would cost $277 and if they can't fix it, I would recieve a new one. I can buy a 30gb ipod for $249. Is it me, or am I getting screwed?

20gb ipod, Windows XP, Sony Vaio

Posted on Feb 18, 2007 10:46 AM

4 replies

Feb 18, 2007 11:07 AM in response to Synthetek

Hi

Welcome to Apple discussions.

The majority of the $277 is due to the labor not the parts. Hence it is often cheaper to replace iPods than have them repaired. It might be worth looking around online to see if there are any providers in NYC that do iPod repairs as they are likely to be cheaper.

However given you say that you smelt buring then IMHO the iPod is fried. Hence in any event it is unlikely that it will be repairable. I would also check the USB port on your computer as I haven't heard any reports about the iPod overheating.

ipod warranty

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.