Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sound suddenly low on MacBook Air

Hello. I have a MacBook Air 13" (2013) and I just noticed today that the sound is incredibly low. Like the "swoosh" of sending emails is barely noticeable or when dragging an item to the trash as well. The sound levels are at the maximum and I didn't change anything. On another note, I need to bring it in for a battery replacement next week as per the Client Support, but I really don't see how a dying battery would affect the sound? Thanks!

MacBook Air, macOS Mojave (10.14)

Posted on Oct 25, 2018 1:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2018 7:24 AM

You're right; a dying battery won't affect sound directly—but a battery that is in need of replacement will manifest in a variety of performance-related and other problems including NVRAM corruption. NVRAM is a piece of memory that stores various parameters including system volume, and unlike desktop Macs that incorporate a dedicated battery for the purpose portable Macs rely upon the rechargeable battery to keep its contents intact.

Definitely have Apple replace the battery, but for now you can probably fix your inability to adjust system volume by resetting NVRAM: Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2018 7:24 AM in response to AlohaCanada

You're right; a dying battery won't affect sound directly—but a battery that is in need of replacement will manifest in a variety of performance-related and other problems including NVRAM corruption. NVRAM is a piece of memory that stores various parameters including system volume, and unlike desktop Macs that incorporate a dedicated battery for the purpose portable Macs rely upon the rechargeable battery to keep its contents intact.

Definitely have Apple replace the battery, but for now you can probably fix your inability to adjust system volume by resetting NVRAM: Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac.

Sound suddenly low on MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.