Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem syncing Multicam edit with gaps

FCPX 10.3.4

MacBook Pro 2.9GHz Intel Core I9

I did a 2 camera shoot before learning how to sync the time codes on the cameras. Between camera timeouts at 30 minutes, and a battery issue, there are gaps in the timeline when I try to create a multicam clip. When automatically generated, FCPX puts the ending at the start, and does not sync to the audio or leave gaps in the timeline of the camera that took a break.

I've tried

• every combination of manual settings, to no effect
  • to adjust the sync using the Angle Editor, but wasn't allowed to align the clips
  • creating a Project timeline for each camera, with common markers named the same on both to align the projects

Is there a way to use multicam, or am I going to, have to do this project the hard way?

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID

Posted on Oct 26, 2018 2:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2018 8:18 AM

Two things:

1) Select all the clips that come from one of the cameras. Open the Inspector in the Info tab. If necessary change the metadata view to Extended. There is a metadata field called “Camera Angle”. Enter some text there, say “Camera A”.

Do the same for other cameras, eg “Camera B”, and so on.

You can put anything in there that is meaningful to you. The point is to tell FCP that some clips belong together in one angle, and some other clips belong together in a different angle.

2) When creating the multicam check “Use Audio for synchronization”.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2018 8:18 AM in response to Mitchfrombentley

Two things:

1) Select all the clips that come from one of the cameras. Open the Inspector in the Info tab. If necessary change the metadata view to Extended. There is a metadata field called “Camera Angle”. Enter some text there, say “Camera A”.

Do the same for other cameras, eg “Camera B”, and so on.

You can put anything in there that is meaningful to you. The point is to tell FCP that some clips belong together in one angle, and some other clips belong together in a different angle.

2) When creating the multicam check “Use Audio for synchronization”.

Oct 27, 2018 8:18 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks for the response Luis! I had specified camera names but not angle names; being unclear about the difference I thought naming the camera would be sufficient. This time the audio synced better, but it put two clips at the beginning that belong near the end, but I have fixed that and perfected the audio sync throughout the project regardless of the gaps. For my next shoot I will use synchronized camera time codes, and be sure to name the camera and angle.

Problem syncing Multicam edit with gaps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.