Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internet Connection Issues

For years, I have successfully used an Airport Extreme router.

I recently moved, leaving the AE Router behind.

I have set up my internet service, using a modem / wifi router combination from the cable company. The set up is complete and I have service.

I have successfully connected my iPad, iPhone, AppleTV and two other non-apple devices to wifi. All devices can connect to the internet without issue.

My mac can see the wifi network and successfully connect. However, the system shows there is no internet connection. When I open Safari, it will open random websites like google and yahoo but not LinkedIn, my country club, Apple, etc. As a test, I took my mac to a friend's home and replicated these results.

When I shut down wifi and connect with an ethernet cable directly to the modem, the results are identical.

My guess is there is a setting(s) that is keeping the mac from connecting to the internet as it is looking for the AE router.

Any suggestions on what may be causing this or what I could do to fix it?

Thank you in advance for your help!

iMac, macOS Mojave (10.14)

Posted on Oct 27, 2018 5:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2018 8:54 PM

That Wi-Fi or Ethernet phrasing could be inferred to mean that there is a mix of Wi-Fi and wired connections here. Is that the case, or is the entire configurarionWi-Fi?

Have you verified that the DHCP settings are being acquired from your DHCP server, and that you!re not configured with static settings, staric gateway route, or static DNS?

What has the network troubleshooting tool reported?

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2018 8:54 PM in response to amarkley

That Wi-Fi or Ethernet phrasing could be inferred to mean that there is a mix of Wi-Fi and wired connections here. Is that the case, or is the entire configurarionWi-Fi?

Have you verified that the DHCP settings are being acquired from your DHCP server, and that you!re not configured with static settings, staric gateway route, or static DNS?

What has the network troubleshooting tool reported?

Oct 27, 2018 5:54 PM in response to amarkley

Ensure there are no other networks connected to your Mac (no Ethernet wired connections, for instance), open System Preferences > Network preferences, make sure Wi-Fi is at the top of the list (and the only active connection), and then select it and select DHCP-assignrd settingd for the Wi-Fi connection.

Apple troubleshooting tool details:

Check for Wi-Fi issues using your Mac - Apple Support

Internet Connection Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.