Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac air not recognising kindle fire

My Mac air does not recognise my kindle fire. Does anyone else have this problem? Icant transfer my books

MacBook Air, iOS 11.2.2

Posted on Oct 28, 2018 1:26 PM

9 replies

Oct 28, 2018 2:37 PM in response to JackiMcK

Ok, thanks. As you should know, your MacBook Air (MBA) comes with two USB 3 ports and a single Thunderbolt port for connecting external devices to. In this case it would be one of the USB ports for the Kindle. Did you try connecting the Kindle to both ports? Did you try using another USB cable?

There were a number of Kindle Fire devices over the years:

• Kindle Fire - released in 2011

Uses a propriety USB connector

• Kindle Fire HD - released in 2012

Uses a USB 2 connector

• Kindle Fire HDX - released in 2013

Uses a microUSB 2 connector

• Kindle Fire 7 - released in 2015

Uses a microUSB 2 connector

Which one is yours?

You mention that you are using an Android File Transfer app. I am assuming that that app runs on the Kindle ... correct?

Is it the MBA that doesn't recognize that the Kindle is attached to it or that the Kindle does not recognize that the MBA is connected when trying to use the app on the Kindle?

Oct 28, 2018 1:32 PM in response to JackiMcK

Was this always an issue or just started to happen recently?

What happens when you connect your Kindle Fire to an available USB port on your MacBook Air? Did you try all of the notebook's ports? ... and try another "known good" USB cable?

In theory, when you connect your Kindle to one of the notebook's USB ports, the Kindle should display that it is entering USB Drive Mode. Also a new volume, called Kindle, should appear on your Mac ... does it?

Which exact model is your MacBook Air? Which version of macOS is it running?

Oct 28, 2018 2:19 PM in response to Tesserax

I bought my Mac Air in January of this year. The Kindle Fire is about three years old. This has happened from day one. I downloaded the Android file transfer, but my computer does not acknowledge the kindle fire. I have used different USB ports, and different usb cables. So frustrating. I buy books from diff web sites and download them to my Computer.

Oct 28, 2018 3:38 PM in response to JackiMcK

Again, thanks for your patience with my questions.

If the Mac is not recognizing that your Kindle is attached to it, I doubt that the Android File Transfer app will have any luck doing so either. There are other apps out there that you can use, but again, they won't work if your Mac can't "see" the Kindle.

Do you have another Mac or PC available (or can borrow) to see if they can "see" the Kindle? If so, you and they don't either, the issue will be with the Kindle. If they do, then it would be your Mac ... and, at this point, I'm not sure what else we can do to get your MBA to work with it.

The following may not be helpful, but I found it at the Android Help site:

Transfer files between your computer & Android device

Mac air not recognising kindle fire

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.