Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SCSI 25 pin adapter to USB or Firewire needed

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I need to locate an adapter cable for a SCSI 25 pin external hard drive that I used to use with a 12 year old Performa- I don't have the Performa anymore. I now have an iMac and an iBook and neither one has a SCSI port. The old hard drive has a lot of data that I want to transfer. Thanks for any suggestions anyone has.

iMac 600 mhz and iBook G4 1.33GHZ combo drive, Mac OS X (10.4), Mac OS 9.2.x

Posted on Feb 18, 2007 8:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2007 4:32 AM

You'd probably find it much cheaper to get a mac with both ethernet and SCSI and transferring files across the network to your new systems.
5 replies

Feb 21, 2007 7:37 AM in response to Lisa Jane

The "standard" first cable from the DB-25 that was used on the back of older Macs to the Centronics-50 that was used on earlier drive enclosures is called a "Mac SCSI System cable". The cable connects the roughly 5 grounds available at the 25-pin end to many more in the cable that are connected at the 50-pin end, such that each signal can be twisted around a ground for good quiet performance. If you ever find yourself needing to go back down to 25-pins to pick up a 25-pin device at the end of the chain, that cable can be used facing the other direction.

The 50-pin connecter that is about the same overall size as the DB-25 is called the HP DB-50. The HP in this case, does not actually refer to Hewlett Packard, but Half Pitch, meaning that the distance between the pins is half the dimension in the standard DB-connecters. These cables, and the terminators used with them are a little more expensive than Centronics-50.

SCSI 25 pin adapter to USB or Firewire needed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.