Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone XR Lock screen notification long press to quick reply disabled

Although I’m fully aware the new XR doesn’t have 3D Touch, all my other non 3D Touch devices like the iPad Pro 10.5 v2 for example, allow me to press and hold any notifcfication from the lock screen to quickly interact with it from the lock screen rather than tap on the notification to fully open the associated app. When I press and hold the notification on the XR lock screen nothing happens.

I contacted Apple today and spoke with a senior technical adviser, to identify why this feature has been disabled on the XR where is works everywhere else and they told me they don’t know why.....my thoughts are that in order to create a very clear distinction between the XS and the XR apple are making a real point of the fact that the XR doesn’t have 3D Touch by stripping away useful features. What a surprise Apple....another ‘Brave’ counter intuitive decision to increase user workflow and make their lives harder!

Is anyone else with the XR experiencing the same behaviour?

Just to be clear I know I can replicate the ‘quick reply’ type behaviour from the lock screen by swiping a notification left and the selecting view, however this method just adds another click to achieve something that can be achieved on all other devices 3D Touch enabled or not, just by pressing any holding and when you use this action a hundred times a day, extra taps just become slow and cumbersome.

iPhone XR, iOS 12.0.1

Posted on Oct 29, 2018 3:59 AM

11 replies

Oct 30, 2018 3:56 AM in response to Benrf78

I had the same experience on my XR. I called support and also spoke with a technical advisor who said he’s not sure why that’s not there and told me he would contact engineering and a few other departments and get back with me. When I pointed out that the long press replicated features of 3D Touch with flashlight, camera, and everything else in the control center they had no answer. One person told me to use a “light touch,” to activate quick interactions and another actually tried to tell me that the Xr did have 3D Touch, which clearly isn’t true. Hoping that this gets fixed in the near future.

One interesting note: you can still do a quick interaction on a banner notification at the top of the screen by swiping down on the notification. Why not by using a long press on the lock screen though?

Oct 30, 2018 5:29 AM in response to pkelly26

Yes, I think that the technical teams have had very little if any exposure to the XR in my opinion, I got the same impression, they weren’t really sure what they were talking about which is unusual for Apple.

If you look at this lack of knowledge coupled with the non existant accessories available for the XR, I believe it all points to a product that was rushed to market, which in turn likely means the OS hadn’t been optimised for it either, so hopefully we should see an update to fix this soon.

Can you give us an update if you hear anything back from them 👍-1F3FB;

Nov 2, 2018 3:43 AM in response to Benrf78

I heard back from the apple technical adviser yesterday. He said he talked with engineering and they confirmed that the lack of long press interaction on lock screen notifications is “normal behavior” and not a bug on the iPhone XR. He told me he tested it on his iPad and did confirm that it works on his iPad and wasn’t sure why the feature is not included on XR. He suggested I fill out a feedback form online to request that feature on the XR and said he filled one out himself. He said the more requests they get for it, the more likely it will get included in a future update.

Nov 20, 2018 9:40 AM in response to Benrf78

This is rediculous. If they want it to be a distinguishing factor between the two models they need to have it on the “compare iPhones” information. Otherwise it cannot affect the consumers decision. I have just purchased the Xr and am ****** that it is not a feature on here. I have no way of deleting my emails from the notification screen now?

iPhone XR Lock screen notification long press to quick reply disabled

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.