You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing Bing redirect malware from my Mac

I recently updated to OS Mojave 10.14 and bing redirect will not allow me to use google as my search engine. How do I remove bing from my mac?

MACBOOK AIR (13-INCH, 2017), macOS Mojave (10.14)

Posted on Oct 29, 2018 11:19 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2018 12:16 PM

I have a late 2013 13" Macbook Pro with the same problem. It's only Safari, not Chrome. I just updated to Mojave. I did try Bing, making it my default for a little while, but didn't like it. I must have 'tried' something malicious.

I've tried:

- Removing add ons from all browsers.

- Deleted firefox.

- Had a look at recent applications and deleted anything not crucial.

- Reviewed old applications and cleaned house.

- Changed within Safari back to Google - not working.

Nothing works and not seeing a lot of solutions other than to buy macbook cleaner and I'm not really sure that would work so waiting on some solid advice.

16 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 4, 2018 12:16 PM in response to georgefromgaithersburg

I have a late 2013 13" Macbook Pro with the same problem. It's only Safari, not Chrome. I just updated to Mojave. I did try Bing, making it my default for a little while, but didn't like it. I must have 'tried' something malicious.

I've tried:

- Removing add ons from all browsers.

- Deleted firefox.

- Had a look at recent applications and deleted anything not crucial.

- Reviewed old applications and cleaned house.

- Changed within Safari back to Google - not working.

Nothing works and not seeing a lot of solutions other than to buy macbook cleaner and I'm not really sure that would work so waiting on some solid advice.

Nov 9, 2018 3:35 PM in response to QuietMacFan

You're wrong. Apple has recommended using Malwarebytes to users who have called in to Apple Care and have recommended posts by others who have recommended MalwareBytes:

User uploaded file

MalwareBytes was created by one of the top and most respected contributors to these forums, Thomas Reed. He is also a noted security authority. You can see his presentation to the MacAdmins conference at Penn State University here: http://osxdaily.com/2018/07/27/top-mac-malware-threats-presentation-video/

It and Etrecheck, a diagnostic app, are recommenced by most of the experienced users here in the Apple Support Community.

Nov 9, 2018 2:40 PM in response to QuietMacFan

> Trovi.com for a flash and that seems to be in Israel.

YES that's a virus of some kind. it's main intent is likely to harass apple users and ruin it's value rather than do actual damage.

Make sure you have "accept only apps from app store" set in settings. Make sure you tell safari NOT to install any plug-ins. There is an internet wide attack on apple (Player.dmg) which claims to be "an adobe flash update" which of course is a virus. (your flash update is in Mojave - never ever update safari unless the plug-in is found on apple.com or app store). I regularly get Player.dmg in my Downloads folder WITHOUT asking for any such thing (it doesn't install because i have installs turned off). I'M RELATIVELY SURE GOOGLE CORPORATION IS SPREADING THE VIRUS, because it always comes from random google ads embedded in web sites: and google has the "motive" to ruin apple's business - they are a foreign competitor.

Safari -> Clear History. check again: problem might be gone. check settings->plugins and delete any plugins. check again.

log in as "guest" and run safari. you'll likely see the problem isnt' there. that means it's all within /Users/username/Library (program preferences. you can delete the folder it gets re-created BUT it has your Photos, Mail, and maybe other user files in it - so be careful and have a backup).

Nov 9, 2018 2:43 PM in response to QuietMacFan

malwarebytes?

Apple does not make that software and does not suggest it: i see TROLLING here, not fixes.

Apple does not suggest using virus protection software.

infact, what's been known since the 1990's is that "virus protection software" is the most likely way to GET viruses, because the companies that make the softwares have strong motive to prove to you a need to keep BUYING$ it

Nov 9, 2018 2:52 PM in response to QuietMacFan

there are other reasons apple and unix people (ie, GNU Linux) doesn't suggest virus protection software:

if your system works well - you won't get viruses (unless you install Player.dmg because you chose unwise auto-install from internet option)

you have the Privilege of a fine system with regular updates. most viruses are wiped out by updates (intently). your system (unlike a PC) can be factory restore with just an internet connection (and by a boot usb if still required) - and restoring almost surely wipes out a virus.

if your somewhat smart but lazy to do un-necessary things, your going to use your Unix system and never see or hear a virus, and thus not seek any remedy for it. you also know "virus protection people" have a tendancy to be related to the same people making viruses and dont' trust them 🙂

so there you go: check apple's support pages and you'll see i'm not lying - they don't suggest virus protectors and don't make one and don't sell one. they do not tell you "do not install one", but they never say "you should"

in the end Apple would rather fix a few apple that a factory restore couldn't fix than bother with continual energy waste and time waste of messy virus checkers (which btw often delete essential files for no good reason). but guess what: i bet it hasn't happened once!

Nov 13, 2018 6:20 AM in response to georgefromgaithersburg

I had same problem. I downloaded BitDefender to try and find out where the issue was but after 2 hours scanning my mac it said everything was clean.

I phoned Apple Support who resolved it and removed Bing from re-directing my search engine away from Google. They installed Malware Bytes for Mac (which Apple have approved to use) which found the files within 10 seconds, deleted them and restarted mac and bingo. All good now.

Worked for me and hopefully works for you 😀

Removing Bing redirect malware from my Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.