Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I log into my MacBook Pro when I shut it down after an update froze and wouldn’t go anywhere?

Okay, so I got a notification today on my MacBook Pro where I needed an update for a dark theme and a system update. So I clicked on it and made sure my Internet browser was closed and as well as other things I had opened were closed and then it restarted like it always does when it has an update. Now, as it’s updating, I’m now doing some other things I have to do before I go to bed while it updates. I look back after sometime and it says it has 53 minutes left to finish the update, and thought all was well. I come back about 10 minutes later and it says the same thing. Thought that was odd, but I went back doing what I was doing prior to checking the update. So I come back 10 minutes later, now around 20 minutes since the restart and update began, it is still 53 minutes away from the update completing. So, I did what I had done a couple times before when updates like this stall and won’t continue. I shutdown the laptop , turn it back on, and I went to login. However, unlike the few times before when this happened where I logged in and went back to do the update over again and it worked, this time I just get the login bar being from about a third of the way from being complete to going to a black screen, restarting again, and then telling me my computer restarted because of a problem and to wait or press a key to continue starting up. This is quite annoying as this hasn’t happened before. And before anyone says it, I know it probably wasn’t good that I shut the computer down when it was updating, but again, I had done that a couple times before when such an occurrence happened and I was able to login and restart whatever update I had no problem. So, now what do I do? How do I log into my computer so I can update it?

MacBook Pro, iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Oct 30, 2018 12:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2018 1:22 PM

Hello JaredWignall,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you’re having trouble with getting your Mac to boot up completely. I’m happy to provide some steps that may help.

I recommend trying to boot into safe mode to see if the issue persists:

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Should that not help, I suggest resetting the System Management Controller (SMC):

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

If the above doesn’t resolve your issue, you’ll want to start your Mac in recovery and use Disk Utility to check your startup disk, and if necessary, reinstall macOS:

About macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Take care.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 30, 2018 1:22 PM in response to JaredWignall

Hello JaredWignall,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you’re having trouble with getting your Mac to boot up completely. I’m happy to provide some steps that may help.

I recommend trying to boot into safe mode to see if the issue persists:

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Should that not help, I suggest resetting the System Management Controller (SMC):

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

If the above doesn’t resolve your issue, you’ll want to start your Mac in recovery and use Disk Utility to check your startup disk, and if necessary, reinstall macOS:

About macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Take care.

How do I log into my MacBook Pro when I shut it down after an update froze and wouldn’t go anywhere?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.