Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini Display Wake Up Delay or Never

Mac Mini and displays always been a pain. The first I remember this issue back around in 2010. By reading thread it is a high variety of interfaces (vga, hdmi, dvi, tb, dp) and many brands of monitors (apple, samsung, lg)

I my case sometimes the monitor gone to energy save, but mac not yet. Then the monitor will never find the signal to bring back to live from zombie mode. Second monitor on hdmi work normal on/off, sleep/work, so in these bloody cases force the computer to go to Sleep. Then when white led is blinking, and primary high resolution monitor comes live on tb or dp.

Is this a rocket science for Apple to deal with external monitors on a desktop computer without monitor?!

working with this is a day after day pain, and really frustrating. For whatever reason Apple computer getting worst during the year. Many day I am still using my out-dated alu iMac if get crazy of Mac Mini

cheers

Posted on Oct 30, 2018 9:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2019 9:22 PM

I have the same issue. The display for my Mac Mini wakes up on a delay. The Mac Mini is an input in a 4K TV and after I press the keys of the wireless magic keyboard for a while, the display finally comes up. Very frustrating.

Originally the display would not come up at all. I had the TV plugged in the HDMI output of the Mac Mini. Then I plugged the TV in one of the USB c ports (with an HDMI adapter) and that fixed it....

The other issue I observed is that sometimes the pointer of the trackpad disappears from the screen. Apparently it’s a thing... I made it bigger in the Universal Access settings and it improved the issue, making it less frequent.

Still, all of this is pretty frustrating for a machine that costs $1,400... Everything also used to work with the previous version of the Mac Mini.

Finally, the Apple customer support was really nice but unfortunately completely useless. They didn’t have any suggestion to make except their various types of standard resets which didn’t help. Independently from them I discovered that deleting the windowserver.plist files would enable the display on the TV via HDMI but none of the setting could be changed without losing the output again... As mentioned above using the usb c with and HDMI adapter made the issue go away and the windowserver.plists files started to update correctly.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2019 9:22 PM in response to Davert

I have the same issue. The display for my Mac Mini wakes up on a delay. The Mac Mini is an input in a 4K TV and after I press the keys of the wireless magic keyboard for a while, the display finally comes up. Very frustrating.

Originally the display would not come up at all. I had the TV plugged in the HDMI output of the Mac Mini. Then I plugged the TV in one of the USB c ports (with an HDMI adapter) and that fixed it....

The other issue I observed is that sometimes the pointer of the trackpad disappears from the screen. Apparently it’s a thing... I made it bigger in the Universal Access settings and it improved the issue, making it less frequent.

Still, all of this is pretty frustrating for a machine that costs $1,400... Everything also used to work with the previous version of the Mac Mini.

Finally, the Apple customer support was really nice but unfortunately completely useless. They didn’t have any suggestion to make except their various types of standard resets which didn’t help. Independently from them I discovered that deleting the windowserver.plist files would enable the display on the TV via HDMI but none of the setting could be changed without losing the output again... As mentioned above using the usb c with and HDMI adapter made the issue go away and the windowserver.plists files started to update correctly.

Oct 31, 2018 7:16 AM in response to pogacsa

Hello pogacsa,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It's my understanding that your Mac Mini doesn't sleep and wake as expected. I can surely see how this could be frustrating. You've come to the right place! The steps and information in the link below can help with this issue:

If your Mac doesn't sleep or wake when expected

Let us know the results. Please include any additional troubleshooting steps you may have tried.

Have a wonderful day!

Nov 22, 2018 5:59 AM in response to pogacsa

Hi,

I have the exact same problem and can barely believe it. I've also stopped using the new Mac Mini. It is now just an expensive paperweight. The ridiculous support article that asks you to check if the Mini is even turned on is an insult. None of the advice works. How can waking up an external display via HDMI be rocket science. My Raspberry Pi can even do it.

Dec 25, 2018 12:17 PM in response to Joseph_S.

None of this works. I have a blank slate Apple Mini straight from your factory. You seem to not realize that your product - not us - is having a problem.

I got the three year service plan on this Mac mini so maybe after I start wasting your money and time by calling your service support and dragging them on for hours upon hours and wasting your money until you finally decide to fix the problem.

Dec 25, 2018 10:40 PM in response to hilltrot

you're not the only one. I've spent more time on the phone with them than anyone the past week that i've had it. Bone stock, no changes/apps. i've used this maybe 8 times in the past week now and i've had to dick with the cmd+op+p+r bs routine several times and even had to unplug the device numerous times before it would finally turn on.

I'm honestly going to return this thing within the next few days if a software update doesn't solve this problem. This is a well known issue and several people have posted about it within the boards, and I haven't seen anyone from apple chime in about it.

Mac Mini Display Wake Up Delay or Never

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.