Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fix for Mojave Failure with Fusion Drive?

The internal fusion drive on my 2014 27" iMac was thoroughly corrupted by my attempt to install Mojave. The machine had been running High Sierra very nicely. Although I had two full SuperDuper clones of Macintosh HD on external drives I was unable to repair the drive and install Mojave or High Sierra.

I took the iMac and one of my clone drives to MacMedics in Severna Park, MD (maybe the best authorized Apple repair shop in the country!) They were able to repair the fusion drive, but they were unable to install Mojave; each of two attempts corrupted the drive. They finally repaired the drive a third time and re-installed High Sierra, and, thanks to my system clone, they returned my iMac to me with all data intact.

I don't know how common this Mojave and fusion-drive issue is, but MacMedics reported that they had seen other failures similar to mine. And an acquaintance of mine, a long-time Machead like me, has experienced the same failure with a 2015 iMac with fusion drive.

Mojave installed without incident on my 15" 2017 MacBook Pro.

I would be curious to hear if anyone knows how widespread the fusion-drive problem is, what causes it, and if there is a workaround.

TIA!

iPhone X, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6), Six modern, or modern-ish, Macs.

Posted on Oct 30, 2018 8:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2019 7:05 PM

If you haven’t already solved this problem, this is what I had to do:

• boot the drive in target mode, connect it to a portable or other Mac running High Sierra (not Mojave);
  • copy off all files
  • reformat the SSD and HD as separate disks (if you reconstruct the drives as a fusion drive, all subsequent attempts to install High Sierra or Mojave will fail);
  • disconnect, reboot the Mac in recovery mode (it will auto-boot in Network mode and collect the recovery software over the net);
  • re-install the OS.
16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 22, 2019 7:05 PM in response to r8m3ms

If you haven’t already solved this problem, this is what I had to do:

• boot the drive in target mode, connect it to a portable or other Mac running High Sierra (not Mojave);
  • copy off all files
  • reformat the SSD and HD as separate disks (if you reconstruct the drives as a fusion drive, all subsequent attempts to install High Sierra or Mojave will fail);
  • disconnect, reboot the Mac in recovery mode (it will auto-boot in Network mode and collect the recovery software over the net);
  • re-install the OS.

Oct 30, 2018 9:52 PM in response to dialabrain

3TB, no Boot Camp partition. Your experience and anecdotal evidence from others causes me to wonder if only 3TB drives are affected. ”kathleen138” reported in this forum: I tried but the install blew my 3tb drive and left me with SSD 128 g. There was no space. I wasted 3 days and now apple is saying the drive was faulty!!!! BS

Another replied that they had the same problem as “kathleen138” and their HD was being replaced. I doubt that the drives failed, but those people didn’t get expert independent help as I did. How likely is it that a number—even a small number—of 3TB fusion drives that have been performing well would decide to fail at the same time that Mojave was installed!?

Nov 5, 2018 7:54 AM in response to David Illig

Same here. Upgraded to Mojave without any Problems and broke my Bootcamp. After Mojave update at the Release date there was just an bootcamp.dmg - image visible. No warning in the upgrade Progress, that this will happen. Please, Apple, implant Bootcamp again for Fusion drives... I am back now at High Sierra. Hope, there will be a solution for this.

Nov 28, 2018 9:40 AM in response to Trancegiving

I had been having major league fan problems for months, eventually locking up the iMac. So in desperation, I went and did a clean install of Mojave from a USB drive. All went well. Stupidly, I used migration assistant from my Time Machine backup. Then the fans started again. I know there's something in there corrupting the system, but can't find it using multiple methods.

So, I figured do it again, but this time, only bring back my known apps, not all of the historical garbage. Got to disk utility, and all was right until it gave me the spinning ball, leading to Drive Error. Now there is no addressable drive in my iMac, nothing. I can't get to it, even when booting from my CCC clone, it displays only the external drives, no internal.

Then I read up and find out just what is required to put a new SSD in the iMac, or even another 1 TB Fusion drive. OWC has a kit, and when I looked at the video, my stomach turned a bit LOL

Jan 21, 2019 6:31 AM in response to MS_MTL

Same here. Started around December and system got slower and slower. Now many corrupted unreadable files on my 3TB Fusion drive in Late 2014 Imac 5K. Booted up from external hard drive--trying to back up from 3TB fusion drive reveals nearly half my files unreadable.

Was working beautifully up until Mojave. Just 6 months past extended Apple warranty date.

Feb 5, 2019 9:00 PM in response to JFlawyer

Same problem here. My 3TB fusion drive on my 2014 Retina iMac is now completely corrupted. I can't boot the machine at all except to recovery mode. However it will not let me reformat the drive from Disk Utility so I can try and restore to one of my time machine backups prior to Mojave upgrade. Anybody have a solution? My Retina iMac is not currently useable.

Feb 13, 2019 8:28 AM in response to David Illig

Now I see I am not alone with my iMac 2014 5K and 1TB fusion drive. After update to Mojave 10.14.3 system does 'work' but from time to time it fails to boot and I need to reinstall it from recovery mode... not very nice when you want to start your work in the morning and then you need to spend an hour for reinstalling system. Got iMac because of well know mac durability and quality (and payed for it quite at the time!) and now having problems like this... very sad... I hope they will do a fix for this

Feb 14, 2019 6:46 AM in response to David Illig

BINGO! Exact same f***ing THING! Late 2017 iMac 27" (without backup) and Mojave just crushed my Fusion drive. Made several attempts at saving it. Took it to Apple Store in Tysons Corner, VA. They were helpful, but ultimately couldn't do anything. Told to go to MicroCenter for a data recovery mission on hard drive. Mircocenter said those will run almost $1500!! I am stuck between wiping the drive and starting over (not happy) and searching for more answers before losing my data. An outrageous oversight by Apple.

Fix for Mojave Failure with Fusion Drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.