Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sign out from iCloud is greyed out even though no restrictions are set

I'm trying to release my son's iPhone but the Sign Out button in Settings->Apple ID is greyed out and there is a text "Sign-out is not available due to restrictions".

Earlier today I removed the sim card from the phone, put it in a new iPhone and installed the new phone from an iCloud backup.

The phone has iOS 12.0.1, it is connected to Family Sharing and the account is a child account. The only restriction we have enabled in Family Sharing is that all downloads must be approved by me. The Content & Privacy Restrictions found under Screen time are not enabled.

I've tried to enable the Content & Privacy Restrictions, reboot, disable, reboot but to no avail.

Please help or advice on how we can disconnect the phone from the iCloud account.

Thanks,

Mathias

iPhone SE, iOS 12.0.1

Posted on Oct 31, 2018 1:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2018 12:43 PM

Hi, same happend to me with my son’s iphone 6, ios 12 with screen time activated.

Needing to send the iphone for a repair, I wanted to log him out of icloud. This options was greyed out. I changed the permissions. No succes.

Finally I switched of screen time for my son through my own iPad. This worked: now I was able to log him out on his own iPhone.

Screen time + restrictions is the solution here

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2018 12:43 PM in response to mathias260

Hi, same happend to me with my son’s iphone 6, ios 12 with screen time activated.

Needing to send the iphone for a repair, I wanted to log him out of icloud. This options was greyed out. I changed the permissions. No succes.

Finally I switched of screen time for my son through my own iPad. This worked: now I was able to log him out on his own iPhone.

Screen time + restrictions is the solution here

Jan 1, 2019 10:31 AM in response to Bassert24

Had basically the same thing happen to me. Purchased 2 iPads for my children for Christmas and connected both children's Apple IDs to Family Sharing and the accounts are each setup as a child account. With each child logged into their own iPad with their own Apple ID, I was unable to log them off. As originally posted... Sign Out button in Settings->Apple ID is greyed out and there is a text "Sign-out is not available due to restrictions". I have numerous restrictions set for my children, including disallowing account changes and passcode changes. I initially thought this was part of the problem and toggling those restrictions to "allow/enable" resulted in no change in behavior.

The details provided by Bassert24 worked for me with one slight change... through my own iPhone, I turned off screen time for each of my children. I then had to restart both children's iPads. After this, I was able to successfully log each child off of the iPad.

Nov 1, 2018 9:47 AM in response to mathias260

Good afternoon mathias260,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

If I understand your question, you have purchased a new iPhone for your son and restored all of his data to the new iPhone from an iCloud backup for his specific Apple ID account. Is that right? If that's the case, if you want to "release" your son's iPhone from iCloud, you can restore the old iPhone to factory settings. This will erase everything on the device and it can then be set up as a new iPhone. Before you do that, go to www.iCloud.com and remove the iPhone from the Find My iPhone app. The resources below will help you with this.
What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings​
Take care.

Nov 3, 2018 1:09 PM in response to mathias260

I too have this same question. It doesn't have anything to do with getting rid of or selling a child's iphone/ipad. If I have a 2nd iPad that I have logged in as the same account as my child to monitor iMessage's/Facetime, I am unable to log out of the iPad (short of wiping it). I messed with the content restrictions as well, however I could never log out. I have two children. I'd like to be able to log into both of their Family accounts (child) to monitor Facetime/iMessage's easily and switch back and forth. I did end up wiping the device, and of course that worked.

Jan 22, 2019 1:06 PM in response to Frogmountain

That's the exact dilemma that I have. My children have their iPads, while their mother uses an iPhone. I carry an Android device. I am actively evaluating a product called Mobicip (https://www.mobicip.com/) that will allow both Android and IOS devices to control the iPads. I'm not far enough into it to make a recommendation BUT I've spoke with their tech support team and made the purchase ($40 per year). Apple's Screen Time looks fantastic conceptually BUT it seems to be plagued with issues/bugs. For example, the devices should be locked out after 8PM and also after 3 hours of use per day. I have found that if ANY YouTube video has been watched that day, the 8PM and 3 hour accumulated usage is bypassed/overridden. My hope is that the two apps, working in conjunction with one another, will accomplish what I want with the devices. I do like the fact that Screen Time can b configured to where my kids have to request for an app to be installed. I have both units locked down pretty good. I'd rather err on the side of caution when it comes to accessing the internet and apps.

Sign out from iCloud is greyed out even though no restrictions are set

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.