Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro-keep asking restart

Macbook asked me to update and gave the restart option. I did it but it says update failed and restart it.
I keep on doing restart but it not actually starting but again showing the same status restart because update failed.

It also gave me option to shutdown. I did and restarted but same screen was appeared.

Can you please suggest me what to do.

Thank you in advance for you help

Here is screen pic

User uploaded file

Posted on Oct 31, 2018 6:50 PM

1 reply

Nov 1, 2018 11:42 AM in response to rallabandi4

Hi rallabandi4,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities. I see you're receiving an installation error when you update your macOS software.

A good step in this case is to run First Aid on your startup disk. You can Repair a disk using Disk Utility on Mac with these steps:
  1. Print this page so you can refer to it later. (You don’t have access to the Disk Utility User Guide when you restart your computer in the next step.)

In the Disk Utility User Guide window, click the Share button User uploaded file, then choose Print.

2. Choose Apple menu User uploaded file > Restart. After your Mac restarts (some Mac computers play a startup sound), press and hold the Command and R keys until the Apple logo appears, then release the keys.

3. Click Disk Utility, then click Continue.

4. Choose View > Show All Devices.

5. In the sidebar, select the disk you want to repair.

6. Click the First Aid button User uploaded file.

If Disk Utility tells you the disk is about to fail, back up your data and replace the disk. You can’t repair it. Otherwise, continue to the next step.

7. Click Run.

If Disk Utility reports that the disk appears to be OK or has been repaired, you’re done. You can click Show Details to see more information about the repairs. Otherwise, you may need to do one of the following.

• If Disk Utility reports “overlapped extent allocation” errors, two or more files occupy the same space on your disk, and at least one of them is likely to be corrupted. You need to check each file in the list of affected files. Most of the files in the list have aliases in a DamagedFiles folder at the top level of your disk.

• If you can replace a file or re-create it, delete it.

• If it contains information you need, open it and examine its data to make sure it hasn’t been corrupted.

• If Disk Utility can’t repair your disk or it reports “The underlying task reported failure,” try to repair the disk or partition again. If that doesn’t work, back up as much of your data as possible, reformat the disk, reinstall macOS, then restore your backed-up data.

After you repair the startup disk, give the installation another try.

To clarify further, which macOS version were you using prior to this most recent update? You may be able to install the latest version of macOS using these steps, from the article titled How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery :

Reinstall from macOS Recovery

macOS Recovery makes it easy to reinstall the Mac operating system, even if you need to erase your startup disk first. All you need is a connection to the Internet. If a wireless network is available, you can choose it from the Wi-Fi User uploaded file menu in the menu bar. This menu is also available in macOS Recovery.

1. Start up from macOS Recovery

To start up from macOS Recovery, turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold one of the following combinations on your keyboard. Command-R is generally recommended, especially if you never installed macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later.

Command (⌘)-R

Install the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac.

Option-⌘-R

Upgrade to the latest macOS compatible with your Mac.

Shift-Option-⌘-R

Install the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.

While you'd have the option to use any of the above key combinations, Option-⌘-R sounds like the best for your situation.

I hope the information I've provided helps.

Have a great day.

Macbook pro-keep asking restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.