Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mobile number doesn't appear as an option when sending a text

When I enter a name for sending a text to their mobile phone, the phone number will pop up as a selection item. But for some names to whom I have previously sent texts and whose mobile number is in my Contacts, the mobile number does not show up as a selection option. Therefore, if I want to send to their mobile number and not their email, I have to go to my Contacts list and select their mobile number there. How can I correct this?

iPhone 6 Plus

Posted on Oct 31, 2018 7:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2018 7:51 PM

gtingley51 wrote:

if I want to send to their mobile number and not their email

If the contact person's email address shows up as an option to receive the text, that means that the person is using an Apple device and the message would be sent as an iMessage. In that case, the email address is actually the person's Apple ID, and indeed the message will go to the person's iPhone (perhaps among other Apple devices that person owns).

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 31, 2018 7:51 PM in response to gtingley51

gtingley51 wrote:

if I want to send to their mobile number and not their email

If the contact person's email address shows up as an option to receive the text, that means that the person is using an Apple device and the message would be sent as an iMessage. In that case, the email address is actually the person's Apple ID, and indeed the message will go to the person's iPhone (perhaps among other Apple devices that person owns).

Mobile number doesn't appear as an option when sending a text

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.