Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installed a new seagate 160GB internal hard drive

I installed a new 160 GB internal hard drive. Reinstalled operating system, but the hard drive says it's only 31.37 GB. I've tried to erase the disk and restart from the installation DVD, etc. but it won't read it as 160 GB hard drive.
any suggestions?

Power MAC G4 Silver Tower, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Feb 19, 2007 8:40 AM

3 replies

Feb 19, 2007 8:56 AM in response to jumpintoliquid

Hi, jumpintoliquid -

Welcome to Apple's Discussions.

ATA hard drives use jumpers to set their address as Master or Slave.

Some drives also come with an additional jumper, which is used as a limiter to set an artifical size for the drive to approx 32GB. This is done because some (older, I think) PC CPUs could not address a volume larger than that.

The solution would be to remove that extra jumper (or reset it according to the jumper config label on the drive). This drawing from Seagate's site may also apply to your drive -
http://www.seagate.com/images/support/en/us/u5family1.gif

Edit - also, be sure the address jumpers are set to Master if it is the only drive on the bus.

Installed a new seagate 160GB internal hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.