Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad pro embedded sim disabled

I have a 10.5" iPad Pro wifi+cellular that has both the external sim tray and the internal embedded sim. I have a Verizon sim card in the sim tray, and always had the option to also use the embedded sim for an additional data plan. I could switch back and forth between the sims when traveling in Settings > Cellular Data. After upgrading to iOS 12.1, the option to switch to the embedded sim has disappeared. Is there a way to get this functionality back? It was really handy while traveling.

iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 12.1

Posted on Nov 1, 2018 1:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2018 2:03 PM

Had the same issue. My solution was to remove the verizon sim temporarily, you should now have all the embedded SIM options as before including any carriers you had set up. Reinsert the Verizon SIM and you now should have all the options you previously had. This may be a temporary workaround as I again “lost” all the embedded SIM carriers overnight. Removed and reinstalled Verizon external SIM again, so far so good.

iOS 12.1 must have bug in this area. I bet it’s related to introduction of iPhone eSIM capability in iPhone. We need a permanent software fix.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2018 2:03 PM in response to Rainman110

Had the same issue. My solution was to remove the verizon sim temporarily, you should now have all the embedded SIM options as before including any carriers you had set up. Reinsert the Verizon SIM and you now should have all the options you previously had. This may be a temporary workaround as I again “lost” all the embedded SIM carriers overnight. Removed and reinstalled Verizon external SIM again, so far so good.

iOS 12.1 must have bug in this area. I bet it’s related to introduction of iPhone eSIM capability in iPhone. We need a permanent software fix.

Nov 2, 2018 2:03 PM in response to rayhart72

Just tried your suggestion and it worked, thanks. Will see how long it lasts, sounds like it must be iOS 12.1 bug since I've never had this happen before. Yesterday I went through some troubleshooting with Apple support, they had no ideas so set me up with a genius bar appointment next week. I may still keep the appointment if the problem comes back so Apple can see for themselves what the issue is and hopefully get the bug on their radar screen to fix.

Nov 18, 2018 9:16 PM in response to rayhart72

I did show the issue to the Genius at the Genius Bar. He took a brand new iPad out of store inventory and replicated the problem on the new iPad using the steps you articulated. So the Genius agreed it is likely an iOS 12.1 bug. He searched the Apple internal bug database and could not find any references to this issue, so he wrote it up and submitted it. He said the issue will likely be escalated since it can be replicated on an entire class of devices. I hope this will speed up a bug fix.

I am currently traveling and using a pay in advance data plan on the internal embedded SIM. The problem kept recurring so I finally just removed my Verizon external SIM for the duration of the trip which has temporarily solved the problem of having to constantly eject and reinsert the external SIM.

I did see a release note recently on the 12.1.1 beta that it includes a way to switch off the external SIM. That would really help my current situation until they fix the actual bug causing the issue.

Nov 20, 2018 8:38 AM in response to rayhart72

You can quickly replicate the issue by rebooting the iPad. This causes the “add a new plan” and any existing data plan using the embedded SIM to dissapear from the cellular data settings. Eject the external SIM and they reappear. The Apple Genius repeated this process several times on my iPad and on a new iPad to document how to replicate the issue so that their bug fix people can duplicate the issue themselves which should help speed up the fix.

iPad pro embedded sim disabled

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.