Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with adding mail to iPad

I have had my Yahoo! mail account on my iPad 3. Recently the account has not been working and I have not been able to recover mail on the iPad. I deleted the account, but I am having trouble adding the account to the iPad.

When I press "Add Account," it gives me a list of mail servers, including Yahoo! I press Yahoo! and it attempts to login, then I see the list of mail servers again. Is there a problem with adding a Yahoo! account to iPad?

iPad Wi-Fi, iOS 9.3.5, iPad 3rd Generation

Posted on Nov 2, 2018 10:04 AM

4 replies

Nov 2, 2018 2:04 PM in response to sheldan1955

sheldan1955 wrote:

The problem is that I will not be able to retain the folders that I set up with Yahoo!

In addition, the account is actually with Bellsouth/AT&T, so I have somewhat different settings than Yahoo! After the account is verified, I changed the host name on the incoming mail server to inbound.att.net and the outgoing mail server tooutbound.att.net. My user name is my e-mail address, so I corrected it.

So you're trying to connect to your mailbox over POP3 protocol. Did you change the Inbound port to 995? How about changing Outbound port to 465? Try that.

sheldan1955 wrote:

If I do manage to get an account, I see that the server ports are 110 for inbound and 587 for outbound. AT&T needs 995 for inbound and 465 for outbound.

Port 110 is the default non secure POP3 connection and port 587 is for smtp.mail.att.net mail server (which is the Outbound server for connection over IMAP protocol). Those in bold red font above are correct. Have you tried changing the ports? How about adding a new mail account as "Others" and use those info you already have?

You need the following info:

User uploaded file

Nov 2, 2018 10:57 AM in response to ShagCA

The problem is that I will not be able to retain the folders that I set up with Yahoo!

In addition, the account is actually with Bellsouth/AT&T, so I have somewhat different settings than Yahoo! After the account is verified, I changed the host name on the incoming mail server to inbound.att.net and the outgoing mail server to outbound.att.net. My user name is my e-mail address, so I corrected it.

I get the message "Cannot Connect Using SSL." The instructions from AT&T require SSL. If I say "No," I get the message "This account may not be able to send or receive emails. Are you sure you want to save?" If I say "Yes" (to the previous question), it responds that the inbound server is not responding. Then I get the "This account may not be able to send or receive emails" message.

If I do manage to get an account, I see that the server ports are 110 for inbound and 587 for outbound. AT&T needs 995 for inbound and 465 for outbound.

Again, mail was working perfectly before a few days ago. Does the iPad have a problem with setting up a Yahoo! account directly, or is something else the problem?

Nov 2, 2018 11:18 AM in response to sheldan1955

You may have to manually change some (or all) of the mail server settings for the account after you have permitted your iPad to auto-configure your mail account settings. The iPad usually does a good job of getting things right, but sometimes it needs a little help if your mail provider does something non-standard.

To customise your outgoing email settings:

Settings > Accounts & Passwords > [select target account from the list] > Account > Outgoing Mail Server/SMTP > Primary Server [touch account name] - and from here check that settings match requirements for your email provider.

To customise your incoming server settings:

Settings > Accounts & Passwords > [select target account from the list] > Account > Advanced - and verify that all settings again match the requirements of your email provider; this is a long list to scroll though - its much longer than the window can show!

Note also that you may need to manaully set the account cresentials seperately for both the incoming and outgoing server - especially if you ever change the mailbox account password.

Hope this helps!

Problems with adding mail to iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.