Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade SSD on 2018 15” MacBook Pro?

Hi all.

After doing a security update the other day, my trusty early 17” MacBook Pro seems to be having graphics issues. It’s a real shame, as it still functioned exactly as I wanted, and I was hoping to get another couple of years out of it. I just love the 17” screen!

So I’m looking at replacing it with a 15” MacBook Pro. I have a couple of questions though.

Firstly, is the hard drive in the 2018 MacBook Pro replaceable for a normal 2 1/2” Sata SSD drive? I recently upgraded the drive in my 17” MacBook to a 750gb SSD one, so it would be nice if I could buy the slightly cheaper 256gb model MacBook and replace its drive with my 750gb one.

Secondly, assuming that’s possible, would the OS just work ok when I swapped the disk into new hardware? My current MacBook won’t take anything newer than High Sierra, so that’s what’s on the disc at present.

Be nice if the disc just went in, booted up with all my apps and software, then allowed an upgrade to Mojave. Wishful thinking maybe!

Cheers,

Glyn.

Posted on Nov 3, 2018 12:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2018 4:30 PM

The 2018 MacBook Pros have SSDs that are soldered to the motherboard (and they also do not use 2 1/2 SATA SSD drives).

Similar questions

2 replies

Upgrade SSD on 2018 15” MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.