Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Magic KeYboard is tYping the wrong characters

I have the original Magic Keyboard, however, when I hit the shift key, it types Y. Also, when I select the letter Y it only allows me to do a capital letter. I have tried debugging and resetting the keyboard, I have also tried to change the input source.

Also, when I press the return key it types a /. Thanks

Magic Keyboard

Posted on Nov 3, 2018 5:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2018 5:34 PM

Can you reset the keyboard in System Preferences>Keyboard? I don't have a "Magic Keyboard", only an older "Apple Wireless Keyboard". https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1738/en_US/magic-keyboard-userguid e.pdf

Found this in another discussion:

Make sure that your keyboard is connected. Then shift-option-click the Bluetooth icon in your menu bar, scroll down to the keyboard in question, and click "Factory Reset". This should reset your keyboard to brand new.

Thanks go to user Sceptre

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2018 5:34 PM in response to Rohanks98

Can you reset the keyboard in System Preferences>Keyboard? I don't have a "Magic Keyboard", only an older "Apple Wireless Keyboard". https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1738/en_US/magic-keyboard-userguid e.pdf

Found this in another discussion:

Make sure that your keyboard is connected. Then shift-option-click the Bluetooth icon in your menu bar, scroll down to the keyboard in question, and click "Factory Reset". This should reset your keyboard to brand new.

Thanks go to user Sceptre

Apple Magic KeYboard is tYping the wrong characters

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.