Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any key press starts my MacBook Pro 2018

I have a new MacBook Pro 2018. I’m concerned that I can cold start the computer by pressing any key, including the power key (the touch ID key). This happens after I have shut down the computer by choosing shut down from the Apple menu and clicking the shut down button that appears. I am also confident that the computer was actually shut down because the results of the uptime command in terminal after the computer is restarted is less than a minute. This isn’t normal behavior for this model computer, is it?

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6), null

Posted on Nov 4, 2018 4:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2018 5:04 PM

To turn on your Mac, press its power button, which is usually marked User uploaded file. Some Mac notebooks also turn on when you open them, connect them to power, press any key, or press the trackpad.

Learn more about turning on different Mac models below.

How to turn your Mac on or off - Apple Support

2 replies

Nov 4, 2018 5:29 PM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, this obfuscates the expected behavior of resetting NVRAM due to the fact that the computer starts unexpectedly while attempting to follow the instructions. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

Those instructions include the following:

On Mac computers that have the Apple T2 chip, you can release the keys after the Apple logo appears and disappears for the second time.

The problem is that the Apple logo won’t ever appear and disappear a second time on my MacBook Pro, presumably due to the fact that the key responses described in the support article you cited cause the depressed status of the 4 keys (command-option-P-R) to be disregarded after the first appearance and disappearance of the Apple logo.

Any key press starts my MacBook Pro 2018

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.