Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2018 Mac to Apple Cinema Display M8149

Has anyone try connecting the good old Cinema Display like the following?

2017/18 Mac -> Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 convertor -> Thunderbolt 2 to DVI convertor -> DVI to ADC convertor -> year 2000 Apple Cinema Display M8149 (with ADC connector)

Currently I'm connecting my 2013 MBP -> Thunderbolt 2 to DVI convertor -> DVI to ADC convertor -> year 2000 Apple Cinema Display M8149 (with ADC connector)

Cheers

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 11.4.1, null

Posted on Nov 4, 2018 7:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2018 12:00 AM

The Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter won't work with display adapters or displays (except Thunderbolt displays).

You need a USB-C to Mini DisplayPort adapter (It also works with Thunderbolt 3 ports)

https://www.uptab.com/uptab-usb-c-type-c-to-mini-displayport-adapter-4k-60hz-sil ver/

to use with your Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter (it will plug into a Thunderbolt port but is actually Mini DisplayPort)

and DVI to ADC convertor.

(Many USB-C to Mini DisplayPort adapters don't support DVI adapters. The one I linked says it does support them.)

Does your display have brightness control buttons? The latest versions of macOS may not be able to control old displays' brightness via USB.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2018 12:00 AM in response to Mitch Leung

The Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter won't work with display adapters or displays (except Thunderbolt displays).

You need a USB-C to Mini DisplayPort adapter (It also works with Thunderbolt 3 ports)

https://www.uptab.com/uptab-usb-c-type-c-to-mini-displayport-adapter-4k-60hz-sil ver/

to use with your Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter (it will plug into a Thunderbolt port but is actually Mini DisplayPort)

and DVI to ADC convertor.

(Many USB-C to Mini DisplayPort adapters don't support DVI adapters. The one I linked says it does support them.)

Does your display have brightness control buttons? The latest versions of macOS may not be able to control old displays' brightness via USB.

2018 Mac to Apple Cinema Display M8149

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.