Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a large Aperture 3.6 Mac Mini Server late 2012 ,Mojave

I have a large Apeture 3.6 library that I would like to divide in half or third for two or three smaller libraries. My Library iis to big to function (constant rebuilds and repairs are frequent. It’s too big to move to an external hard drive, constant copy and error messages are common.

Thanks

Mac Mini Server (Late 2012), macOS Mojave (10.14)

Posted on Nov 5, 2018 3:15 AM

Similar questions

12 replies

Nov 12, 2018 10:15 AM in response to Openthepodbaydoors

While you are in the project view you can hold down the ⌘ key to select several projects at once, then ctrl-click the selection and use the "Export" command to export the projects as a new library:

User uploaded file

Or select the projects in the sidebar. If you have organized your projects in folders in the sidebar, you can select the complete folder or folders to export them all at once.

• Ctrl-click the folder in the sidebar (or hold down the ⌘ key while selecting several items, then ctrl-click the selection).
  • Now use the command "Export > Export folder (or items) as new library".

User uploaded file

Nov 9, 2018 7:02 AM in response to Openthepodbaydoors

All methods to split your library require plenty of free storage. You may need to do this on a separate external drive.

Duplicating the library on a separate drive (and then deleting half of the projects from each library) will be the safest and quickest method, because the library does not need to be rebuild.

The alternative would be to export partial libraries from Aperture.

• Select all projects at once in the Library panel, that you want to move into a separate library, then use the command "File > Export > Items as new library". Select a drive as the destination, that has enough free storage.
  • After you exported the projects to a new library, and tested the new library, if it is working well, delete them from the original library.

Nov 5, 2018 3:29 AM in response to Openthepodbaydoors

Are you sure, it is the size of the library that is causing these problems? Aperture has been designed to work with one million photos.

How large is your library?

Copy errors or the necessity to rebuild the library frequently can be caused by an unsupported file system format on the drive with the library, or keeping the Aperture library on a network volume and accessing it over the network.

But if you want to split the library into smaller libraries, I would duplicate it and delete half of the projects from the original library and the other half of the projects from the copy.

Nov 9, 2018 7:55 AM in response to Openthepodbaydoors

I have tried this before and I get error code -8062 “The operation can’t be completed because an unexpected error occurred “

This error message usually appears in connection with moving Time Machine backups, or when you are trying to copy an Aperture Library to a drive with an incompatible file system. Is your external drive formatted MacOS Extended (Journaled) as it should be for an Aperture Library?

You may also be seeing this error message, if the Aperture Library contains files, that are having illegal filename - filenames with invisible characters in them or very long filenames.

Nov 9, 2018 12:05 PM in response to léonie

Yes it could be the drive itself, it’s a small USB powered Seagate Backup Up Plus . It’s been working for small items such as Desktop items. I initially tried to format it via Disc Utility but was unsuccessful. I’ll try another drive such a raid drive . My main Aperture Library is on a Glyph 2 TB. The Aperture Library I’m trying to move is a secondary one however I do need to do it because I have about 90GB out of 1TB on my Mac Mini.

Thanks for your help and patience. This is incredibly frustrating for me

I have a large Aperture 3.6 Mac Mini Server late 2012 ,Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.