Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Limits on Text Replacement?

Is there a limit on how long the text can be for a text replacement shortcut? Prior to iOS 12.1, I had several shortcuts that would be replaced with two or three paragraphs of text. None of them work anymore. Shorter shortcuts (for things like emails, addresses, and short phrases) continue to work just fine.

iPhone 8-OTHER, iOS 12.1

Posted on Nov 5, 2018 1:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2018 5:53 PM

Seems like a really silly design choice. Much like OP, I had shortcuts that stored large cookie-cutter responses. Updating iOS (which is supposed to be an upgrade) feels like a regression this time around.

Similar questions

6 replies

Nov 5, 2018 1:37 PM in response to NRRIndy

I don't use large text replacements, and I have not seen anything describing a change from Apple, however I did see a post in the last week addressing a similar question. You may want to search "text replacement" in the forum and see if you can locate it. Seems the user there was doing something similar to what you say about long strings of text.

Otherwise, to get an answer from Apple, you would need to use the Contact Support link at the top of the pages here.

Limits on Text Replacement?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.