Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro slow/not booting after battery replacement

(Macbook Pro Retina 13” Late 2013 2.4GHz i5 4GB ram)

in early 2016 i noticed my battery was due for a replacement, but i ignored it since i never moved it anywhere anyways. So in the middle of 2016 it was completely drained and couldn’t hold a charge and wasn’t even recognized by the system when I checked the system analysis thing. So from them till recently it never booted normally, had to sort of jump start it— hold power for a few seconds, plug it in, take my finger off power for half a second and push down again. It worked for me but immediately, the fans would kick in at full speed until I unplugged the charger, which just shut down the whole thing. Using my macbook in this way was working for me although with the slight inconvenience of slightly reduced speed. Just slightly. But still noticeable. like logging in would take about a minute instead of a few seconds and graphics would lag “prematurely”.

Last week I finally dropped it off at the apple store and they replaced my battery but the guy told me it wasnt booting properly. He told me to boot it by holding power+ctrl+alt+shift(shift, i think.) because otherwise it would just chime then turn off and the power button was "not working" on my 2nd visit (picked it up on the 3rd.). But i found it’s less stressful to just hold power again after it turns off. Anyways when i get to the login screen it takes about 3 minutes to log in, the bar gets stuck after like 85%.

Now my macbook is drastically slower, it takes like 4 seconds for the volume box to respond to the keystroke and the same goes for the trackpad backlight and the display brightness. Videos can barely play if you’re doing anything — ANYTHING other than watching them. Played a couple games and they’re all running so much worse than they did with the terrible speed i had before. I updated from el capitan to Mojave to see if it would make any difference but it didn’t. Cleared about 30 gigs of space too and that didn’t do anything. I have a 2014 macbook air with a battery approaching the level of bad that my pro was once at and it still runs faster than it, and it’s in Yosemite.

Does this have anything to do with the battery? I can still easily crank out 7+ hours of life so i assume it’s the right battery. Still takes as long to charge to full as I remember too. I have to admit i probably skipped tens of updates over the years but i know my SMC is up to date. i’ve reset the SMC, PRAM, NVRAM, safe booted and everything, still the same problems. I’ve had the idea of pulling up so many programs that the fans kick in and everything runs at full capacity or whatever “to get it back into the swing of things” but it sounds dumb.

Im assuming if i could get it to boot on the first try it’d be in a normal state and run properly?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Mojave (10.14.1)

Posted on Nov 5, 2018 2:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2018 2:47 PM

Please try the following, in order. Stop at any step where the issue is resolved:

1. Create a new standard user account.
    • How: System Preferences > Users & Groups > "+" button
    • Why: Create a new user account to log into to determine if the current user account is problematic. Note: Obviously this option will only be available if you can boot up your Mac to the macOS Desktop.
  2. Run Apple Diagnostics to uncover any hardware issues with your Mac.
  3. Boot up your Mac in Recovery or Internet Recovery Mode.

What: About macOS Recovery- Apple Support

How:

• For Recovery Mode: Immediately after pressing the power button, hold down the <command><R> keys until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
  4. For Internet Recovery Mode: Immediately after pressing the power button, hold down the <option><command><R> keys until the spinning globe appears on the screen.
    • When at the initial Recovery Mode screen, select the Disk Utility option. Run Disk Utility > First Aid to verify the startup disk's integrity.

• Why: To verify the startup disk integrity using the Disk Utility's First Aid option.
  5. Boot up your Mac in Single-User Mode.

What:

6. Resolve startup issues and perform disk maintenance with Disk Utility and fsck - Apple Support
    • How Can I Repair My Hard Drive If My Mac Won't Start? - Lifewire

• How: At the command prompt, type:/sbin/fsck -fy<return>

If fsck makes any repairs, you will get a message that says: Files System was modified. If you do, run fsck again until the "The volume <volumename> appears to be OK."

7. Exit messages:
    • Issues found = "File system was modified"
      • No issues found = "The volume <name> appears to be OK"

• Typerebootat the prompt to exit Single-User Mode.
    • Why: To attempt to repair the startup drive.
  8. Run an EtreCheck report and post it here so that we can help diagnose any issue that we may uncover with your Mac.
    • You can download EtreCheck Pro fromhere or download it from the Apple App Store.
    • Start EtreCheck from a normal user account. Optionally, you can run it from a user account with Administrator privileges for additional details.
    • Select a problem from the drop-down menu to enable the "Start EtreCheck" button. Optionally, you can add comments on what issues your Mac is experiencing, especially to aide others with similar Mac issues.
    • Click on Start EtreCheck
    • Allow the program to run to completion.
    • When done, select Report from the left-side window to display it.
    • Select the "Share Report" icon.

Select Copy Report

• Paste the report to your reply post. (Note: The EtreCheck report does NOT contain any personal information.)
    • Ref:Using EtreCheck- ASC (etresoft)

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2018 2:47 PM in response to ternafromthec

Please try the following, in order. Stop at any step where the issue is resolved:

1. Create a new standard user account.
    • How: System Preferences > Users & Groups > "+" button
    • Why: Create a new user account to log into to determine if the current user account is problematic. Note: Obviously this option will only be available if you can boot up your Mac to the macOS Desktop.
  2. Run Apple Diagnostics to uncover any hardware issues with your Mac.
  3. Boot up your Mac in Recovery or Internet Recovery Mode.

What: About macOS Recovery- Apple Support

How:

• For Recovery Mode: Immediately after pressing the power button, hold down the <command><R> keys until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
  4. For Internet Recovery Mode: Immediately after pressing the power button, hold down the <option><command><R> keys until the spinning globe appears on the screen.
    • When at the initial Recovery Mode screen, select the Disk Utility option. Run Disk Utility > First Aid to verify the startup disk's integrity.

• Why: To verify the startup disk integrity using the Disk Utility's First Aid option.
  5. Boot up your Mac in Single-User Mode.

What:

6. Resolve startup issues and perform disk maintenance with Disk Utility and fsck - Apple Support
    • How Can I Repair My Hard Drive If My Mac Won't Start? - Lifewire

• How: At the command prompt, type:/sbin/fsck -fy<return>

If fsck makes any repairs, you will get a message that says: Files System was modified. If you do, run fsck again until the "The volume <volumename> appears to be OK."

7. Exit messages:
    • Issues found = "File system was modified"
      • No issues found = "The volume <name> appears to be OK"

• Typerebootat the prompt to exit Single-User Mode.
    • Why: To attempt to repair the startup drive.
  8. Run an EtreCheck report and post it here so that we can help diagnose any issue that we may uncover with your Mac.
    • You can download EtreCheck Pro fromhere or download it from the Apple App Store.
    • Start EtreCheck from a normal user account. Optionally, you can run it from a user account with Administrator privileges for additional details.
    • Select a problem from the drop-down menu to enable the "Start EtreCheck" button. Optionally, you can add comments on what issues your Mac is experiencing, especially to aide others with similar Mac issues.
    • Click on Start EtreCheck
    • Allow the program to run to completion.
    • When done, select Report from the left-side window to display it.
    • Select the "Share Report" icon.

Select Copy Report

• Paste the report to your reply post. (Note: The EtreCheck report does NOT contain any personal information.)
    • Ref:Using EtreCheck- ASC (etresoft)

Macbook Pro slow/not booting after battery replacement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.