Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing Apple ID from hotmail to gmail. Email address showing as invalid.

I originally set up my Apple ID with a hotmail email address. I know longer have this and so want to change it to. My current gmail address. However, when I try it says that my new email address is invalid. Any thoughts?

Posted on Nov 5, 2018 5:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2018 7:26 PM

Hi tamora102!

First of all, I would advise for you to have a look into this article before changing the Apple ID name: Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

It is very important, for instance, to sign out of all your devices on the multiple services, before changing the Apple ID (if you do, make sure you've got your trusted phone number up to date - in case you use two factor authentication or two step verification - or that you've got full knowledge of your security questions - in case you use a secondary authentication account).

The fact it says your email address is not available at the moment it could mean that it is either an Apple ID already (you can check on iforgot.apple.com) or that you might be using it as a rescue email for another Apple ID.

If you think it shouldn't be any of the cases mentioned before, do reach Apple Support where they will most likely be able to sort out your problem!

Cheers!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2018 7:26 PM in response to tamora102

Hi tamora102!

First of all, I would advise for you to have a look into this article before changing the Apple ID name: Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

It is very important, for instance, to sign out of all your devices on the multiple services, before changing the Apple ID (if you do, make sure you've got your trusted phone number up to date - in case you use two factor authentication or two step verification - or that you've got full knowledge of your security questions - in case you use a secondary authentication account).

The fact it says your email address is not available at the moment it could mean that it is either an Apple ID already (you can check on iforgot.apple.com) or that you might be using it as a rescue email for another Apple ID.

If you think it shouldn't be any of the cases mentioned before, do reach Apple Support where they will most likely be able to sort out your problem!

Cheers!

Changing Apple ID from hotmail to gmail. Email address showing as invalid.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.