Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I transfer NTFS files (from my previous Windows computer) directly to a HDD drive formatted for a Mac?

I am switching from a Windows computer to a Mac (macOS Mojave) and I have two HDD full of work files that I need to transfer. I have a new HDD drive (unformatted) that I would like to transfer all the files to. *I have numerous files larger than 4gb.

I am wondering if (how) I can just copy and paste the files to the new drive. And, if I do, will I be able to interact with them (read and write) without restrictions. Also, what would be the best format type for this type of transfer?

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS Mojave (10.14.1)

Posted on Nov 5, 2018 8:57 PM

2 replies

Nov 6, 2018 2:05 AM in response to elmesd

As per kaz-k's reply it is possible to install Apple's Migration Assistant on the Windows computer and do the migration of files and settings over the network. See - Move your data from a Windows PC to your Mac - Apple Support

However more specifically in response to your question the Mac can read NTFS formatted drives, as standard it cannot format or write to NTFS drives. So yes you could on the Windows machine copy the files to an NTFS formatted drive and then copy them from that to the Mac. It is also possible to use the exFAT format, both Mac and Windows can read and write to exFAT format drives. exFAT was originally intended for larger USB memory sticks or memory cards for cameras but can be used on hard drives as well.

Both NTFS and exFAT support files bigger than 4GB.

Can I transfer NTFS files (from my previous Windows computer) directly to a HDD drive formatted for a Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.