Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone xr charger hot

iphone XR charger is hot to touch while charging with phone on or off.

Wall outlet tests 120 V. and tried several.

My wife's charger is the same.

Should I return or is this typical.

iPhone XR, iOS 12, photo iphone xr to iphone xr

Posted on Nov 7, 2018 4:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2018 5:05 AM

It's normal that the charger gets hot while charging your iPhone.

It shouldn't be a normal behavior if the charger would get hot without having your iPhone connected.

For any doubts, if still on warranty, have your original chargers inspected at your most convenient Apple Store.

Please, remember to use always original or "MFI" certified accessories (MFI = Made For IPhone).

Regards

Giulio

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2018 5:05 AM in response to prime26

It's normal that the charger gets hot while charging your iPhone.

It shouldn't be a normal behavior if the charger would get hot without having your iPhone connected.

For any doubts, if still on warranty, have your original chargers inspected at your most convenient Apple Store.

Please, remember to use always original or "MFI" certified accessories (MFI = Made For IPhone).

Regards

Giulio

Nov 7, 2018 5:22 AM in response to prime26

There's no difference if the iPhone is ON or OFF while charging, and don't worry about overcharging it, 'cause the iPhone automatically stops charging when its battery reaches 100%.

I started using iPhones in 2009 and I've always charged them overnight, every nights, with iphones ON (sometimes in airplane mode, sometimes without airplane mode). Batteries lasted at least 2,5-3 years or even more, without any problem. The only precaution I've always adopted was (is) that I do not let the battery go down below 15-20%.

Keep also in mind that battery lifespan is measured in cycles:

1 cycle = complete charge from 0 to 100%

1/2 cycle = charge from 50 to 100%

1/4 cycle = charge from 75 to 100% ... and so on.

Regards

Giulio

iphone xr charger hot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.