Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone XS max Dual Physical Sim - network issues when both sims are in

Hi. I am having an issue with my network connectivity when both sims are operational. The issue is not persistent, but every few minutes or so, the network drops on my primary SIM and boots up again. I have tried disabling the secondary SIM by not unlocking it at startup, and used only the primary SIM. This seems to fix the issue, but defies the whole purpose of having a dual SIM phone.

Does anyone have similar problems? is there a fix for it, and are apple aware of this issue and are working on a fix?

Thanks

iPhone XS Max, iOS 12.1

Posted on Nov 7, 2018 6:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2018 12:47 AM

Im having the exact same problem

I completely removed the second sim card, and it’s working fine now.

But i really had a hard time to find a dual physical sim iphone xs max and i paid 1500$ for it!

Can’t it’s having issues, i really hope apple fixes it soon.

17 replies

Dec 8, 2018 8:40 PM in response to jeanlouisjamous

Apple just updated the ios to 12.1.1 few days ago. I updated my software and there has been alot of improvements. One , now you can easily switch on/off between the two sims with a easy switch on “cellular” settings. Second, In 2 days, My dropping of signal issues seems to have really improved. Finally. Well done Apple! Thank you. I suggest all of you with dual sims phones to update it.

Dec 29, 2018 5:06 AM in response to ankurseth17

I did two things and seems to work fine.

1. Try “resetting network settings”. - the only draw back would be you would loose any saved wifi passwords you had before and thus you would need to reenter them as you connect to the wifi.

2. I switched the “Network Settings” to manual and selected the provider of my sims.

So far, things run well for me. I personally suggest you to try the above two as it really doesnt casue any inconveniences doing the above two steps.

Dec 29, 2018 5:07 AM in response to ankurseth17

I did two things and seems to work fine.

1. Try “resetting network settings”. - the only draw back would be you would loose any saved wifi passwords you had before and thus you would need to reenter them as you connect to the wifi.

2. I switched the “Network Settings” to manual and selected the provider of my sims.

So far, things run well for me. I personally suggest you to try the above two as it really doesnt casue any inconveniences doing the above two steps.

Feb 11, 2019 10:42 AM in response to Saimad

We definitely need Apple to provide an answer, this is definitely an issue for many people in the US and abroad.

I too bought the iPhone XS Max so that I can use a single phone when traveling abroad. I am using AT&T with an eSIM and Movistar on the physical SIM, and the problem is consistent, it doesn't matter which one I have as primary for voice or data, Movistar's physical SIM will stop working when switching from Wireless or if the signal is poor. The only way to get it to work is when I turn off the line and turn it back on after about 30 seconds. The problem is that sometimes the phone will give me a SIM card error, forcing me to restart the phone.

By the way, every time that the issue happens, Face ID will stop working and I have to reenter my PIN.

Current iOS at the time of this post: 12.1.4 (16D57)

Feb 13, 2019 10:53 AM in response to Alejo®

I believe I found a solution to this issue:

First let me clarify, the iPhone XS and R models only accept one physical SIM card and as many eSIM cards as you can add, however, only two of the SIMs can be active at the time.

On my end, I believe the issue started when I added the eSIM, for some reason the iPhone had problems between the primary and secondary accounts.

After much troubleshooting, I decided to replace the SIM on the phone, and after the SIM replacement I have had no further issues. I would suggest each person having issues, that while the phone is On, remove the SIM and try inserting it again, if you continue experiencing issues, I would suggest a SIM replacement.

Iphone XS max Dual Physical Sim - network issues when both sims are in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.