Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blocked iMessages still coming through?

I have a number blocked on my iPhone XS (ios 12.1) and while calls are blocked, iMessages are still being sent through to me. How do I block this number from messaging me?

Posted on Nov 7, 2018 7:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2018 7:31 PM

Hello annapollard,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities for help with blocking a number in Messages. I recommend following the steps to block the message specifically in Messages. This article has the procedure: Block phone numbers and contacts on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If you're in Messages, open the conversation, tap the contact at the top of the conversation, then tap User uploaded file. Tap the name or phone number, scroll to the bottom of the Info screen, then tap Block this Caller.

Thanks and have a wonderful day.
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2018 7:31 PM in response to annapollard

Hello annapollard,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities for help with blocking a number in Messages. I recommend following the steps to block the message specifically in Messages. This article has the procedure: Block phone numbers and contacts on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If you're in Messages, open the conversation, tap the contact at the top of the conversation, then tap User uploaded file. Tap the name or phone number, scroll to the bottom of the Info screen, then tap Block this Caller.

Nov 9, 2018 12:08 AM in response to MoonJ.

Hi,

I initially went through these steps in blocking the number, and it appears to only work for phone calls (I’ve had several voicemails from this number in the “Blocked Messages” section of voicemail) but even so I’m still getting their iMessages sent to me as if the number isn’t blocked. I’ve tried unblocking and reblocking the number, and it’s listed under my blocked numbers. Is this some kind of glitch, or is there something further to block the iMessages?

Nov 12, 2018 11:50 AM in response to annapollard

Hello annapollard,

When you block a number, they are still able to leave a message, you just won't get a notification and the device won't ring or vibrate interrupting you. This is discussed in the article: Block phone numbers and contacts on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

When you block a phone number or contact, they can still leave a voicemail, but you won't get a notification. Messages that are sent or received won't be delivered. Also, the contact won't get a notification that the call or message was blocked.

The Messages should stop as well. If you are still receiving messages form the number and it is properly blocked, I recommend contacting AppleCare. Use this link to contact AppleCare: Apple - Contact Support

Blocked iMessages still coming through?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.