Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Group Facetime Camera won't work

After hearing all of the hype about group facetime, I was excited to finally use it. When I tried to access the app and use it with two of my friends they were able to see each other but I couldn't see them. The button that should allow me to turn my camera on is greyed out. I can see people when I regularly facetime but as soon as we add a third person or more to the group all that pops up is letters. I need help. I've tried resetting my network setting, I've turned facetime off and on again. What is wrong with my phone? Why am I missing out?

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 12.1

Posted on Nov 7, 2018 7:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2018 9:15 AM

You need an iPhone 6s or later in order for the video to work. If you have an older phone then it only works with audio.

Same with the filters, which only work with iPhone 7 and later:

Use Group FaceTime on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

19 replies

Nov 20, 2018 1:46 PM in response to hcbrown27

It is an unless post, it does not answer question of the post and does not help to fix the problem. I do have iPhone 7 and i cannot even start the group call on FaceTime, since at the moment when I type in second participant the address list and the buttons for audio and video call become grey and inactive. Same time I can do the FaceTime Group Call form iMessages form iPhone and from MacBook Pro, but not form FaceTime native app on either of them. What is wrong there?

Dec 19, 2018 2:50 AM in response to ashlyn223

Since I have not seen Apple answer to this question and following conversations i will give a try to answer, based on my own initial troubles with FaceTime Group call and experience gained over a time on succesfull calls.

Firstly to be able to make and receive Group Call all involved parties has to be on iOS12.1.1 or later, which also answers all the Questions of iPhone 7 or 6 vs SE or any other. If the iPhone has 12.1.1 or later it can make and receive the Group calls.

Secondly, to make a call to several people at once, you have to have them in a group already. Like if you have a Family iMessage group or close Friends iMessage group. Without that you can make a group call adding new person to existing FaceTime call, but here is a caveat, that new person might not have his or her phone ringing indicating of a new call at the moment you added it to the call. You have to force ring him or her form the list of call participiants.

Hope this is useful.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Group Facetime Camera won't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.