Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes won't play downloaded movies on Windows PC

Hi all,

I'm trying to play my purchased movies on iTunes on a windows PC. When I download the movies and play them, the play button briefly turns to a pause and immediately back to play indicating that playing the movie has failed. There is no warning or indication message and the movie window remains black with the timer static at 0:00:00.

I can play the movies (sporadically) but only if they're not downloaded and are streaming.

I suspect this is something to do with a graphics card or display issue but I can't find a solution. Screenshots of my settings are attached. Thanks for any help you can offer!

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Posted on Nov 8, 2018 5:07 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Nov 13, 2018 4:02 PM in response to glic

What quality have you downloaded, SD or HD? Are you able to stream the movie rather than download and play? Have you got any TV show content and are having a similar issue?

I'm having a similar issue to you, but specifically when I try and play HD 1080p movies I've downloaded, even though I have downloaded and can play many different TV shows at 1080p without a problem. It's very weird.

Nov 14, 2018 5:01 AM in response to glic

I think from your settings, it means you're downloading at 720p, which is still HD and not "lower res", as you call it (SD). Try ticking "Download high-quality SD videos" on your Downloads Preferences menu and then download one of your movies again to see if your computer will play in Standard Definition.

From your system specs, you should be able to play HD without a problem, so it could well be a driver issue. Are your graphics card drivers up to date?

iTunes won't play downloaded movies on Windows PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.