Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro connect to thunderbolt display

The new iPad pro has usb-c, but when I tried to connect it through a a usb-c (thunderbolt 3) to thunderbolt 2 adapter to my apple thunderbolt display, I got a message saying that the iPad doesn’t support it.

Am I doing this wrong, or is apple?

Thanks

Michael

iPad Pro 11-inch, Wi-Fi, iOS 12.1

Posted on Nov 8, 2018 10:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2018 2:35 PM

The USB-C port on the iPad is just a USB-C port. It is not a thunderbolt 3 port. So Thunderbolt 3 displays will not work with it.

Apple makes this: USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter - Apple to connect the iPad to HDMI compatible displays.

4 replies

Nov 9, 2018 12:54 PM in response to sterling r

Yes, I saw that support article.

I have an Apple Thunderbolt Display. On my new Mac Pro, I use the usb-c/thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter, and it runs fine.

I tried that same adapter on the iPad Pro, and it does not work. It says thunderbolt not supported.

I also tried it using a usb-c to DisplayPort adapter, and it simply does nothing.

Thanks for any guidance.

Nov 9, 2018 12:51 PM in response to meolsen

Hello meolsen,

Thank you for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand you're trying to connect your iPad Pro to a display. I can help with this. First, make sure they are compatible using this article.

Charge and connect with the USB-C port on the new iPad Pro - Apple Support

Connect to displays and monitors

The USB-C port on iPad Pro connects to external displays so that you can watch video, play Keynote presentations, and more on a larger screen. Depending on the display that you're connecting to, you might need an adapter.

When you connect an external display, it mirrors the iPad Pro built-in display, unless you're using an app that has a "second screen" experience (such as a video app).

USB-C displays

iPad Pro uses the DisplayPort protocol to support connections to USB-C displays with resolutions up to 5K.1 To connect iPad Pro to high-resolution displays, use a USB-C cable that supports high-bandwidth connections, such as the cable included with the display, the Belkin USB-C to USB-C Cable, or the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) Cable (sold separately).2

iPad Pro also supports high-dynamic-range USB-C displays that use the HDR10 standard. You can switch between SDR and HDR modes by going to Settings > Display & Brightness and selecting your connected display. iPad Pro matches the frame rate and dynamic range of currently playing content when you turn on Allow Display Mode Changes.

Some USB-C displays can also charge iPad Pro while it's connected.

1. iPad Pro doesn't support Thunderbolt 3 displays such as the LG UltraFine 5K Display.

2. The Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) Cable has a Thunderbolt symbol User uploaded file to distinguish it from a USB-C cable.

HDMI displays or TVs

You can connect iPad Pro to an HDMI display or TV with a USB-C to HDMI adapter. Adapters that support HDMI 2.0 can output video from iPad Pro at 4K resolution and 60Hz.

The Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter is also compatible with iPad Pro. This adapter can output video from iPad Pro at up to 4K resolution and 30Hz.*

iPad Pro can output Dolby Digital Plus audio streams via HDMI, but not Dolby Atmos. Also note that iPad Pro will play HDR10 or Dolby Vision content via HDMI when HDMI 2.0 adapters that support these formats become available.

* When you use the Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter with iPad Pro, its Home screen and apps appear on HDMI displays at 1080p and 60Hz. When you begin playing video content, the resolution switches to match the content, up to 4K at 30Hz. Turn on the Match Content option on iPad Pro in Settings > Displays.

Take care.

iPad Pro connect to thunderbolt display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.