Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yellow Spots on my MacBook Pro

Hi All,

Recently my MacBook Pro 2016 15" has started showing yellow patches on the screen. They sometimes disappear and then they come back again. It looks like liquid has leaked, it is possible to move the yellow spot around a bit by (very) gently touching the screen.

I also am trying to make an appointment with the Genius Bar but there are never any available spots. Has anyone had this before? If yes, how did you get rid of it? Was a repair necessary, or is there another way to fix this?

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS Mojave (10.14.1)

Posted on Nov 8, 2018 5:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2018 11:09 AM

Hi,

I also recently developed this issue with my 15" MacBook Pro (2017) display. I noticed the same yellow blotches around the top half and right top corner of my display. I brought it in for a Genius appointment and Apple replaced my screen for free because my unit was still within its 1-year warranty (from date of purchase). The Genius staff saw the yellowing right away and pretty much told me that it was a defect. It took them 5 working days to replace my screen and I opted to collect my MacBook Pro from the same Apple Store. Thankfully, they did not have to wipe my hard disks so all my data was intact. It would still be a good idea to backup your data to a Time Machine drive though, just in case.

FYI, if your MacBook is out of its 1-year warranty, or you do not have Apple Care coverage, the screen replacement will cost a whopping $700-800 USD. Good luck, and I hope you get it resolved smoothly!

Cheers,

L

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2018 11:09 AM in response to forgijs

Hi,

I also recently developed this issue with my 15" MacBook Pro (2017) display. I noticed the same yellow blotches around the top half and right top corner of my display. I brought it in for a Genius appointment and Apple replaced my screen for free because my unit was still within its 1-year warranty (from date of purchase). The Genius staff saw the yellowing right away and pretty much told me that it was a defect. It took them 5 working days to replace my screen and I opted to collect my MacBook Pro from the same Apple Store. Thankfully, they did not have to wipe my hard disks so all my data was intact. It would still be a good idea to backup your data to a Time Machine drive though, just in case.

FYI, if your MacBook is out of its 1-year warranty, or you do not have Apple Care coverage, the screen replacement will cost a whopping $700-800 USD. Good luck, and I hope you get it resolved smoothly!

Cheers,

L

Yellow Spots on my MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.