Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Back Up the Entire Logic System & 3rd Party Plugins

Greetings one and all,

I am looking for an extensive way to back up / copy / move everything related to Logic. There are files in various locations, especially after installing various plugins, and so I’d like to learn the best way to auto-backup /copy ALL related files. A zip would be the preferable option.

Case in point, I would like to move my entire, fully functioning music set-up to another Mac without having to locate and reinstall everything again - I have the system set up the way I like it, and don’t want to have to go through various Preferences set-ups and other routing information when there *should* be a way to back up / copy *everything* related to Logic (even if there are invisible files hidden away in the Library).

Project files are okay, I can obviously already move those and I also have Time Machine, but I hope you see my point with Logic and other related files in various locations.

So, saying that, is there a software program which will help me do this? Will it back up / suck up / copy what I need AND unwrap / install it all onto another Mac - in effect, mirror-image style? If not, perhaps someone should create something that does. No doubt this could also help other users, such as, Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop etc.,

Thanks

OBS iMac (Flat Panel), OS X El Capitan (10.11.6), Various toys

Posted on Nov 9, 2018 1:00 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

Dec 17, 2018 5:14 PM in response to inknpaper

Interesting question. Your best bet is probably to create a script. But why only Logic? Why not clone your System/User drive using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper? Why not Time Machine, then you could pull what you need from either of those complete backups?

In any case, this would be a very custom script, because it depends on exactly what you have. Also, assuming you're using legit installations, it's going to be tricky doing this kind of backup/restore because of licensing.

That said, off the top of my head, and for starters, you would want to backup:

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic*

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic*

/Library/Application Support/Logic/*

~/Library/Application Support/Logic/*

/Library/Audio/*

~/Library/Audio/*

You would want to do the same for any 3rd party stuff you have. Most of these are under /Library/Application Support/ or ~/Library/Application Support, but sometimes 3rd party apps install things in weird places, like ~/Documents, or /Users/Shared/.

If you have any experience with the Terminal, the easiest way would be to build a script to copy your locations to your backup drive. Then you could experiment, edit, and add to your script until you get it the way you want it. If not, look into an app like the aforementioned Super Duper, or Carbon Copy Cloner, or there's a nice little backup utility called SyncTwoFolders.

I hope this helps.

How to Back Up the Entire Logic System & 3rd Party Plugins

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.