Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Possible bluetooth solution

I have good reason to suspect that my intractable iMac bluetooth mouse/keyboard disconnection problem was related to the Android File Transfer app downloaded from Android. Wipe/reload was the only cure until I re-downloaded that app. Never again!

I don't intend to waste any more time proving this, but wonder if anybody else agrees?

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017), macOS Mojave (10.14.1)

Posted on Nov 9, 2018 1:56 AM

17 replies

Dec 18, 2018 12:36 PM in response to fabio-bxl

Hi I found this thread because I also was having Bluetooth issues with Mojave 10.4.2 the last few days. I turns out that on this last Friday I installed Android File Transfer to test a friends android phone. Today I found this message and promptly removed Android File Transfer (AFT). A few interesting points about AFT. When I downloaded it from the Android website I noticed the Mac requirements were Mac OS 10.7 which leads me to believe AFT hasn’t been updated recently. Also before I installed AFT I was able to hookup the android phone and see it as a “hard drive” with Commander One ( a Finder replacement). As soon as I installed AFT, Commander One couldn’t see the android phone anymore. So my conclusion is that AFT is not a well behaved program as it appears to take over and interferes with general system operations.

Jan 9, 2019 6:31 AM in response to fabio-bxl

I agree Android File Transfer app appears to be what was causing BlueTooth problems for me.

I was plagued with BlueTooth issues (all devices disconnecting, BT unavailable) on High Sierra which disappeared when I did a fresh install of Mojave (moving AFT). The issues returned after installing AFT again on Mojave. I removed AFT from the Login Items and all is good for over a week.

I have opened a bug report with Apple.

Feb 7, 2019 3:17 AM in response to frankfromwimbledon

I've tried removing AFT, shutting down the process, restarting computer and it did not help. It became even worse when I started playing with it. I even found some forums related to Logitech MX that's causing it so I tried removing my Logitech Options to find out if that's the cause. No way, it became even worse. Yesterday the mouse was practically unusable. After latest Mojave update it was happening much more often. My colleague uses Apple mouse and Apple keyboard and he has the same issues so it seems like it's something with Bluetooth and Mojave. We both have completely different Macs, he's got 2015 and I have 2018. Apple should investigate into this. Having both bluetooth devices that control your Mac unusable is absolutely not acceptable.

Feb 7, 2019 5:14 AM in response to nughett

The problem is easily reproducible for me with AFT running, especially when a device is connect through USB. When I kill AFT app and the AFT helper process (kill -9) that is added to Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items whenever AFT is launched BT returns. You could also try removing (the will be recreated) Library/Preferences/

com.apple.AppleMultitouchMouse.plist

com.apple.AppleMultitouchTrackpad.plist

com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.mouse.plist

com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.trackpad.plist

com.apple.HIToolbox.plist

and restarting.

I have opened cases:

47145277  Android File Transfer app breaks BlueTooth on MacOS with Apple.

and 123216504 Android File Transfer 1.0.11 breaks BlueTooth on MacOS wth Google,

and both cases appear to being work with requests for information made.

Since these cases are focussed on AFT, you should open another case to Apple if AFT is not the cause of your problem. I agree that this bug renders your computer useless. The problem for me started in High Sierra and was even reproduced at the genius bar in safe mode (which should prove it has nothing to do with AFT).

Mar 6, 2019 11:36 AM in response to frankfromwimbledon

This! My bluetooth devices were getting connected/disconnected all the time. I ended up plugging a wired mouse and keyboard in my brand new iMac.

Removing the Android File Transfer app fixed the issue 100%.

This tip needs to be included in all the 'what to do when bluetooth is not working on your Mac' tips that float around on the internet.

Thanks for sharing!

Mar 29, 2019 1:56 AM in response to frankfromwimbledon

I had no end of Bluetooth issues with my new iMac, running Mojave upgraded from High Sierra ( not a clean install).

I went though all the usual things to resolve it. Somewhere along the way it seemed to be “fixed”, I don’t know why.Worked perfectly for about 2 months,.. then the problem came back worse than ever. Same thing, ..tried all the fixes as before but things just got worse.

I bought a Mac specific wired keyboard and mouse as I had given up on Bluetooth.

Then in one last attempt to resolve this ( never give up attitude ) , I saw a mention of Android file transfer as a possible cause. The same post included eye to helper as another.

Turns out Mojave dosen’t Play well with these,..they worked perfectly for me in High Sierra.

They will try to open at login, which they can’t, being incompatible with Mojave. But system keeps trying, resulting in strange behaviour and issues.

There are hidden files associated with these apps that need to be removed to completely delete them from system.

Search on how to do this, follow the guides and while your at it delete the Bluetooth p.lists before rebooting after removing offending files.

My Mac is now running faster, no issues with Bluetooth nor anything else.

Android File Transfer was most likely the culprit, eyetv helper could of been also, ..but not sure of which.

Since I use neither on this Mac, the removal was no issue.

Problem solved for me.

Possible bluetooth solution

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.