Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text Replacement NOT Working iOS 12.1 iPhoneX

I use text replacement hundreds of times a day. When I upgraded to iOS 11 it started messing up. It works about 50% of the time and can't figure out why. Upgraded to iOS 12.1 and same issue.

1. Going to try the General-Keyboard- shut off Auto Cap, Auto Correction and "."Shortcut. Turn off phone (press right hand button on iPhoneX) wait 60 seconds, turn back on and turn features back on. NO that FAILED.

2. Now going to try the same thing, but this time turn Auto Cap, Auto Correction and "."Shortcut AND EVERYTHING ELSE off on that screen. Then go back, go back and reboot the phone. Turn everything back on and test. FAIL

3. Tried adding a new Text Replacement and deleting to see if it would sync with iCloud. both on my iPhone and MacBook Pro. FAIL

Help!

Christian

iPhone X, iOS 12.1

Posted on Nov 9, 2018 5:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2018 4:43 PM

I posted in another thread, but posting here since I found this thread first:

Looks like with iOS 12.1, text replacement has been limited to 128 characters.

This is really annoying and hopefully apple removes this character count soon, otherwise I will need to double or triple the number of shortcuts since some will require 3 or 4 shortcuts when i previously only needed 1 shortcut.

As someone else pointed out, the workaround currently is to break up your shortcuts into pieces no more than 128 characters long. So instead of aaa for 1 long phrase, you may need aaa + aaa1 + aaa2.. ..

Please fix soon Apple!!!

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2018 4:43 PM in response to christianfromolathe

I posted in another thread, but posting here since I found this thread first:

Looks like with iOS 12.1, text replacement has been limited to 128 characters.

This is really annoying and hopefully apple removes this character count soon, otherwise I will need to double or triple the number of shortcuts since some will require 3 or 4 shortcuts when i previously only needed 1 shortcut.

As someone else pointed out, the workaround currently is to break up your shortcuts into pieces no more than 128 characters long. So instead of aaa for 1 long phrase, you may need aaa + aaa1 + aaa2.. ..

Please fix soon Apple!!!

Text Replacement NOT Working iOS 12.1 iPhoneX

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.