Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Ipad will not update past 10.3.3

My Ipad will not update past 10.3.3 It is cellular with plenty of room and I can't find a reason why.

Posted on Nov 9, 2018 9:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2018 9:17 AM

Depending on the model of iPad that you have, it may not support iOS 12.x. See this to identify your model and see, Identify your iPad model - Apple Support

This shows the devices that can update to iOS 12. iOS 12 - Apple

12 replies

Nov 9, 2018 11:10 AM in response to Phil0124

iPad (4th generation)

• Year: Late 2012
  • Capacity: 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, 128GB
  • Model number (on the back cover):
    A1458 on the iPad (4th generation) Wi-Fi
    A1459 on the iPad (4th generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular
    A1460 on the iPad (4th generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular (MM)
  • White or black front bezel
  • 9.7-inch Retina display
  • Lightning connector
  • The micro-SIM tray is on the right side on iPad (4th generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular
  • FaceTime HD and iSight cameras*

This is under the mini. I am not sure why you have to be so rude. I just asked a question. My Ipad is not that old. Apple send me a new one, not that it is any of your business. This one is 3 years old. Maybe you should read a little further. I do run a business I am capable.

Nov 9, 2018 11:27 AM in response to ditector

When was I rude? I'm sorry if you thought I was rude.

I believe there was a misunderstanding.

This link: Identify your iPad model - Apple Support lists all iPads ever produced by Apple. It is not a list of iPads that can update to iOS 12.

The other link in Chris's response, iOS 12 - Apple, indicates which devices, including which iPads, can actually update to iOS 12.

Yes, you have a 4th generation iPad with Retina Display. It is not however possible to update it past iOS 10.3.3

Nov 9, 2018 9:32 AM in response to ditector

Why not? What happens when you try to update exactly? Do you get an error? If so what does it say?

What model of iPad is it exactly? Settings->General->About->Model?

If you want help, you need to provide details. Otherwise we have no idea what may be wrong.

Nevermind.

That model corresponds to a 4th Generation iPad with Retina Display introduced in 2012. It is not capable of updating beyond iOS 10.3.3

Nov 9, 2018 10:58 AM in response to ditector

What link? I have provided no link. If you mean the link provided by ChrisJ in his first response, then nowhere does it say iPad 4th Generation. It states iPad 5th and 6th Generation.

It also states iPad Mini 4, which you may be confusing with an iPad 4th Generation. They are 2 different things.

A 4th Generation iPad cannot update beyond iOS 10.3.3, sorry.

Nov 9, 2018 11:27 AM in response to ditector

ditector wrote:

ME401LL/A

You basically have a 4-6-year old, 128 GBs storage, iPad 4 ( 4th generation ) with both Wifi and cellular data capabilities.

The iPad 4th generation came out in 2012.

That iPad model cannot be upgraded/updated past iOS 10.3.3.

The iPad 4th generation is ineligible and excluded from upgrading to iOS 11 or iOS 12 and any future iOS versions.

With the introduction of iOS 11, ALL support for older 32 bit iDevices and any iOS 32 bit apps has ended.

Your iPad 4 is a 32 bit hardware device.

With the introduction of the 64 bit coded iOS 11, newer iOS versions ONLY support newer 64 bit hardware iDevices and 64 bit software, now.

The iPad 4 is incompatible with this new iOS, now.

No need to panic or worry though.

Your iPad 4th gen will still work and function as it always has, but will no longer receive any more app updates sometime in the foreseeable future.

The 4th gen iPad has had over 5 years of iOS upgrades/updates

The final app updates your 4th gen iPad will receive will be its last!

Your iPad 4 will survive and stay a viable, functioning iPad for a couple more years.

Currently, iPad 4 models are STILL receiving regular app updates, but look for this change over time.

This is why Apple introduced the new, lower cost 2018 and 2017 iPad 6th and 5th generation models.

Apple is trying to get older iPad 2, 3, 4 and 1st gen Mini iPad users to upgrade to more modern iPad hardware in anticipation of the recent releases of iOS 11, and now iOS 12, which will render all older 32 bit iDevices obsolete, in time.

Also, since your iPad 4 has not had any new iOS upgrades/updates in over a year, I would strongly consider you stop using that year old, default iOS Safari Web browser and seek out other more current and, up to date and more secure third party Web browsers, instead.

Here are a few, more popular, third party web browsers that I know are STILL being updated and supported on iOS 10 and earlier.

Firefox Web browser

Google Chrome browser

iCab Mobile Web browser

Dolphin Web browser

DuckDuckGo private Web browxer

Snow Bunny Web browser

Private Browsing Web browser

Aloha Web browser

Maxthon Web browser

Good Luck to You!

My Ipad will not update past 10.3.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.