Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WiFi dropping out

For a few months I have been experiencing constant loss of wifi on my 2, fairly new, iPads; a pro and iPad 2. The browser simply grinds to a halt and I get the usual ‘server failed to respond’ message. No other devices in the house are affected, including iPhones.

I have tried everything, including setting up as new iPads from scratch to no avail. They are now both on version 12.1, which I had hoped may solve the issue but it has made no difference. Hard re-setting of the iPad sometimes helps for a while as does re-setting the router (TalkTalk). However, it is not long before the issue reappears.

Surely this must be an iPad issue as it affects both and nothing else. Any help much appreciated.

iPad Pro 12.9-inch Wi-Fi, iOS 12.1, WiFi issues

Posted on Nov 10, 2018 2:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2018 10:14 AM

I am having a similar issue. WiFi suddenly stops working despite it showing I have a full strength connection. For me, turning WiFi off and back on fixes it for a while. I had an iPhone 6S and an iPad Air 2. Both of these devices had no issue and were on the latest software. My Apple TV and Macbook Pro also have had no issue. However, when I got an iPhone XS to replace my 6S, that device was the only one to have the issue. I just got a new iPad Pro 11, and it too is having the issue... I've tried everything I can think of (resetting network settings, restoring to factory condition, resetting modem and router) and still no luck. Seems very, very odd that only my newer devices are having an issue.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2018 10:14 AM in response to edwardfromcorsham

I am having a similar issue. WiFi suddenly stops working despite it showing I have a full strength connection. For me, turning WiFi off and back on fixes it for a while. I had an iPhone 6S and an iPad Air 2. Both of these devices had no issue and were on the latest software. My Apple TV and Macbook Pro also have had no issue. However, when I got an iPhone XS to replace my 6S, that device was the only one to have the issue. I just got a new iPad Pro 11, and it too is having the issue... I've tried everything I can think of (resetting network settings, restoring to factory condition, resetting modem and router) and still no luck. Seems very, very odd that only my newer devices are having an issue.

Nov 10, 2018 11:52 AM in response to edwardfromcorsham

My new 11 inch iPad Pro constantly drops WiFi in areas of my house that my 10.5 inch iPad works well. My iPhone X also works well in these areas. My wife’s 11 inch iPad Pro also has the same connectivity issues in the same spots of the house now. When the iPads drop WiFi, we have to go into settings and select our WiFi SSID. They will then stay connected for a few minutes.

We’ve reset our router, double checked that our router settings match the Apple recommended router settings, forgot our network and rejoined it, reset all network settings, and I’ve even erased/reset one of the iPads, then restored it via iCloud backup. Before the restore, I set it up manually, and kept losing WiFi during setup. I had to go to the room where WiFi does not drop on these iPads. I remember having similar issues when we first got our 10.5 inch iPad Pros.

Nov 11, 2018 5:54 AM in response to kennethfromrosharon

We moved our router, and now the connection is fine. It’s worth noting that we have had our router in the same location for 6 years and all of our other devices have always worked well. We do not have cable, so we use Netflix and Hulu for everything and never have buffering. It certainly seems as if the new 11” iPad Pro could use an update to tweak its Wi-Fi antennas.

WiFi dropping out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.