Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which graphic card for Mojave on Mac Pro 5,1 (mid 2010)?

Hello,

which graphic card for Mojave on Mac Pro 5,1 (mid 2010)/3,33 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, do you suggest?

This is a machine only for photography and video editing work, using Da Vinci Resolve, Premiere, Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, DPP4 and the Mac OS? I don´t play games with this machine.

Install macOS 10.14 Mojave on Mac Pro (Mid 2010) and Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Apple Support

I know there is this compatible graphic cards list but, this a piece of hardware I don´t know nothing about.

The main reason to upgrade is, apart from the new Mojave OS, that I am experiencing image problems with my work (posterization, banding, rendering problems, etc).

I guess my graphic card is becoming too old for my RAW photos and HD video editing.

More memory will help too so, I will also upgrade RAM memory in order to keep using this machine, that I like very much its design and architecture, a couple more years.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Kind regards.

Mac Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6), Eizo CG241W

Posted on Nov 10, 2018 4:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2018 7:29 PM

Although Apple doesn’t publish a list of which ones work and which ones don’t,

Um, yes they do:

Make sure that your graphics card works with Mojave

Next, check to see if the graphics card in your Mac Pro is compatible. You can use System Information to find out which graphics card your Mac has:

1. Press and hold the Option key while choosing Apple () menu > System Information.
  2. In the sidebar, select Graphics/Displays. If your graphics card is compatible, you see "Supported" next to the Metal entry. You can also note the name of your graphics card and see if it's in the list below.

These specific third-party graphics cards are Metal-capable and compatible with macOS Mojave on Mac Pro (Mid 2010) and Mac Pro (Mid 2012):

• MSI Gaming Radeon RX 560 128-bit 4GB GDRR5
  • SAPPHIRE Radeon PULSE RX 580 8GB GDDR5
  • SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7950 Mac Edition
  • NVIDIA Quadro K5000 for Mac
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Mac Edition

Some other third-party graphics cards* based on the following AMD GPU families might also be compatible with macOS Mojave on Mac Pro (Mid 2010) and Mac Pro (Mid 2012):

• AMD Radeon RX 560
  • AMD Radeon RX 570
  • AMD Radeon RX 580
  • AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100
  • AMD Radeon RX Vega 56
  • AMD Radeon RX Vega 64
  • AMD Radeon Pro WX 9100
  • AMD Radeon Frontier Edition

If the graphics card in your Mac Pro isn't listed above, you need to install one that's compatible with macOS Mojave. If you need additional help, contact Apple Support.

* Third-party graphics cards vary, so you should check with the vendor of your specific graphics card for compatibility details.

User uploaded file

the article cited above,

Install macOS 10.14 Mojave on Mac Pro (Mid 2010) and Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Apple Support

Cards based on the same Big Chips will work, BUT:

List of approved graphics cards is shown in the article, but not the footnotes:

• If you need "boot-up screens" you will need a Mac-edition card, or a specially-flashed card. Others will show their first picture at the USER login screen.

• FileVault encryption of the Boot drive is therefore NOT supported for ANY graphics cards, since you would have to enter the FileVault login on a dark screen in some cases.

30 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2018 7:29 PM in response to Johnb-one

Although Apple doesn’t publish a list of which ones work and which ones don’t,

Um, yes they do:

Make sure that your graphics card works with Mojave

Next, check to see if the graphics card in your Mac Pro is compatible. You can use System Information to find out which graphics card your Mac has:

1. Press and hold the Option key while choosing Apple () menu > System Information.
  2. In the sidebar, select Graphics/Displays. If your graphics card is compatible, you see "Supported" next to the Metal entry. You can also note the name of your graphics card and see if it's in the list below.

These specific third-party graphics cards are Metal-capable and compatible with macOS Mojave on Mac Pro (Mid 2010) and Mac Pro (Mid 2012):

• MSI Gaming Radeon RX 560 128-bit 4GB GDRR5
  • SAPPHIRE Radeon PULSE RX 580 8GB GDDR5
  • SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7950 Mac Edition
  • NVIDIA Quadro K5000 for Mac
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Mac Edition

Some other third-party graphics cards* based on the following AMD GPU families might also be compatible with macOS Mojave on Mac Pro (Mid 2010) and Mac Pro (Mid 2012):

• AMD Radeon RX 560
  • AMD Radeon RX 570
  • AMD Radeon RX 580
  • AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100
  • AMD Radeon RX Vega 56
  • AMD Radeon RX Vega 64
  • AMD Radeon Pro WX 9100
  • AMD Radeon Frontier Edition

If the graphics card in your Mac Pro isn't listed above, you need to install one that's compatible with macOS Mojave. If you need additional help, contact Apple Support.

* Third-party graphics cards vary, so you should check with the vendor of your specific graphics card for compatibility details.

User uploaded file

the article cited above,

Cards based on the same Big Chips will work, BUT:

List of approved graphics cards is shown in the article, but not the footnotes:

• If you need "boot-up screens" you will need a Mac-edition card, or a specially-flashed card. Others will show their first picture at the USER login screen.

• FileVault encryption of the Boot drive is therefore NOT supported for ANY graphics cards, since you would have to enter the FileVault login on a dark screen in some cases.

Nov 13, 2018 3:27 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Hi Grant,

no recovery mode?

The difference is around 300,00 USD/Euro

Sapphire HD 7950 Mac Edition = 568 USD/Euro

vs

Sapphire Radeon PULSE RX 580 8GB GDDR5 = 268 USD/Euro

As far as I can understand from the specs this a better, newer and less expensive card (from Apple list).

I contacted Sapphire Customer Support and they reply "The RX 580 does not support MAC OS".

I guess this is their "official" reply because this a PC card. What is your opinion?

Nov 10, 2018 6:22 PM in response to ateliercunha

I recently bought the Nvidia GTX 680, which is of course an old card, only available second hand, mine is 'flashed' for Mac rather than the Mac Edition, it works very well. I, like you use my MP for photography and the occasional video project. The main concern is the budget, some graphics cards cost more than the MP is worth, so if you are not needing it for 3D animation/ modelling, intense gaming you should be able to pick something up for a couple hundred pounds. Be sure that they are for Macs or have been 'flashed' for Mac so you get the boot screens, unless that doesn't bother you.

Nov 10, 2018 7:02 PM in response to ateliercunha

Hi there ateliercunha.maybe i can help you. Really-it depends on your budget and how beefy a card you want. Although Apple doesn’t publish a list of which ones work and which ones don’t, we can start from the known and go from there. The sapphire 7950 HD works fine with most Mac Pro’s ( cheese grater ones) , and has 3gigs of vram. After that, if your needs are greater, MacVidCards.com might have what you need. The R9 vega’s are also supposed to work ok right out of the box. Of course you should have el capitan, sierra or the like. About the only other thing i could add is that you could change your own video card. The only things to be mindful of is there’s a button near the fans you have to push so that the whole bit slides back and a bar underneath moves out of the way. And of course there’s the power connectors for the card on the logic board-make sure the power cables for the card are plugged in.

That’s it

John b

Nov 11, 2018 7:05 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Hi everyone, thank you for your kind help.

My main activity with this machine is photography editing; less video.

Process RAW still images from a 30MP camera is the core of my activity.

All I need is a graphic card that works well with Affinity Photo/Designer (Photoshop/Illustrator nice alternatives from Serif).

My Mac Pro, according to Mac2Sell (trusty?) sells for about 1200 USD/1380 Euro.

Maybe a 1/5 to 1/4 of that value for a graphic card is the goal. Which graphic card?

Alternatives? A new machine and keep this Mac Pro for Storage (12GB inside it) and backups?

The "black" Mac Pro is old.

The iMac is old.

The iMac Pro is too expensive.

The new Mac Mini? Will it be better than my 3,33 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro with a new graphic card and 32 GB Ram?

Last but not least; I always prefer a CPU+Monitor workstation; but... .-) I can change if an iMac proves to be a better solution.

Thanks.

Nov 11, 2018 11:48 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

In the meantime I remembered to run the hardware test with the original Mac Pro DVD and did an extended test under the suggested conditions; result: Error code 4VDC / 1/40000003: VideoController

What do you suggest I do to interpret this error message? Do you know what it is about and/or how to solve it? As I wrote at the beginning of this topic, I have noticed problems (posterization, banding, rendering problems, etc) in the photographic images that I edit and there is no reason in my workflow for this to happen because I am careful to work with quality files, color space, calibrated monitor, RAW and TIFF formats only, etc.
Does this error mean a problem with the graphic card and a new one is the answer or indicates a more serious hardware problem outside the graphic card and could mean the end of my faithful Mac Pro?

Now I'm really worried.

;-(

Thanks.

Nov 11, 2018 5:20 PM in response to ateliercunha

No worries-we are users here helping each other out. No need to get a new mac pro..or a new imac.. at least not yet... i’m guessing you did the usual-zap pram, reset smc, etc... also check to make sure the card isn’t clogged up with dust.a can of compressed air should help with that..check the fan fins on the card and that air flows freely through the card, and that the power cable to the card is plugged in, both on the card, and on the logic board. Also check to see if the nvidia mac drivers are up to date and the cuda driver is as well. If so, then I don’t know what else to suggest...maybe a used good card...maybe new...depending on your budget of course... graphics cards do fail from time to time...and the only real option is replacement..( baking the card doesn’t quite count) ..i mentioned macvidcards and the other stuff, so there’s that. I have a 7950 sapphire radeon which has been very reliable for me...anyways good luck to you...

John B

Nov 12, 2018 6:07 AM in response to Johnb-one

Hello John B (and everyone who is helping),

thanks for your words and practical help. I had cleaned my Mac Pro on the inside, without compressed air, almost a year ago, when I had to replace a hard drive. Today I did a deep cleaning with compressed air. There was indeed a lot of dust, despite the annual cleanings (but without the air). I checked the graphic card connections. Everything is well connected. Everything is very clean now. I reset the Pram and reset SMC as per instructions here: https://www.macissues.com/2014/03/19/how-to-reset-the-pram-on-your-mac/
I ran the Hardware test again and the result is the same error: 4VDC / 1/40000003: VideoController.
There is one thing you say that I don´ t know how to do; "check to see if the nvidia mac drivers are up to date and the cuda driver as well". My graphic card is ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB. Here I cannot see drivers for Mac:

ATI Radeon™ HD 5770 Drivers & Support | AMD
Many thanks for the precious help.

Nov 12, 2018 8:07 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Hello Grant;

thank you also for your contribution to solving this problem. I was actually searching online for the correct interpretation of this specific error to definitely figure out how to act. But I could not find the definitive answer. Your contribution comes in good time.

However, I had just connected another monitor (Benq) to the Mac Pro and in fact the problems of posterization, banding and other artifacts appear as such.

I also did the hardware test while I had the Benq monitor connected to the Mac Pro and the result is the same error.

That is; the problem is definitely not on the monitor Eizo, although it already has so many years of use as the Mac Pro. The problem as you point is in the Mac namely in the graphics card.

This brings me back to the beginning, with the advantage of realizing why the strange artifacts I was getting in my photographic editions with no reason to find them from my careful workflow.

And keep using the newest OS with my machine.

Now; which graphic card to choose?

Perhaps it is useful to say again that the main work I do is photographic editing (think Photoshop / Affinity Photo and plug-ins) and some video editing.

My budget may be as high as 350-400 USD / Euro.

I accept suggestions beyond those already given by friends who have already responded.

Thank you Grant; thank you all.

Nov 12, 2018 11:11 AM in response to ateliercunha

Sure- glad to help out. It’s a sapphire radeon 7950 HD mac version. I think i ordered it from macsales a few years ago for around $600 CDN( with shipping and tax) . And it’s in a 12 core mac pro ( mac pro 5,1? From about 2010-2011-got it used for about 2,200 cdn, plus a new 2k monitor( dell) for 650-so that’s it. Maybe you can find one used?

John b

Nov 12, 2018 11:21 AM in response to Johnb-one

Thanks a lot John B.

That is a 2013 graphic card.

Are you happy with the performance?

Here the price is €568,00.

There are other Sapphire cards like this one (from the Apple page):

SAPPHIRE Radeon PULSE RX 580 8GB GDDR5

I am a bit confused.

Some cards say "Mac Edition" some say nothing...

;-(

This card is much less expensive and seems nice (specs) but says nothing about Mac OS:

http://www.sapphiretech.com/productdetial.asp?pid=77B48A1E-9FCB-4F19-BC2D-17C308 7E4852&prev=1&lang=eng

Will it be compatible?

Nov 12, 2018 11:31 AM in response to ateliercunha

Only cards that are "Mac-Edition" OR are flashed and the vendor says "supports Boot Screens" will show any picture at all before the LOGIN screen. No open-Apple, no progress bar, no Installer screens, no Alt/Option boot, etc.

Cards made from similar "Big Chips" will work fine, edit your videos just fine, but will not show Boot Screens.

So for example, if you expect to run Windows as well, switching back-and forth using a card with no Boot Screens would be very annoying.

Which graphic card for Mojave on Mac Pro 5,1 (mid 2010)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.