Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine not backing up.

Hi All.

Still on Mountain Lion (for recording studio reasons) and TM has been temperamental lately. The disk is mounted and I can use it freely in the finder but TM just says 'Looking for backup disk...' and nothing happens. I have formatted two different fresh disks, one connected via SATA 2 and the other via USB 3 and it's still the same. If I log in as the user 'Admin' I can choose 'backup now' and it will work for a few hours back in the normal user ID (which has admin privileges). I got a dialog pop up at one point that said 'files can't be copied onto the backup disc because it appears to be read only'. If I look at the privileges on the backup disk from another computer the first privilege is for another junk ID I have on the computer, 'read & write', then it says staff 'read only' and finally everyone 'read only'. If I look at the same disk from the computer in question I see myself, staff and everyone 'read and write'. This only started after I tried encrypting my backups a while back, then deciding not to bother recently.

Thanks.

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Nov 11, 2018 3:09 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

Nov 11, 2018 6:48 AM in response to stratblue

Disk permissions can get complicated (and beside the point) when viewed from another computer.

What has always given me good luck (locally, not from another computer) is these:

Owner (single person-silhouette): System: Read & Write

Group: Admin (or possibly Wheel) : Read & Write

Everyone: No access (or possibly Read-only if its only you and trusted family on your Mac)

Nov 13, 2018 6:22 AM in response to stratblue

Time Machine is built into the System, and has System Permissions, so the settings you have should work.

should this then be applied to all the descendant folders within?

NO!

The permissions set on individual files are the permissions of the file they came from. If you propagate permissions all the way through, Nothing you restore will be usable.

Nov 13, 2018 11:23 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Hi there.

Grant Bennet-Alder wrote:

You can change the Top-level permissions to match your other drive --

I don't know what you mean by this, what drive is this other drive? I thought they were correct.

just do not "propagate permissions..." to all the enclosed folders.

Agreed.

Permissions problems keeping the drive from being found are still a guess at this point.

They seem to be correct?

Another thing to try after that is to use Disk Utility -- Repair Disk on that drive.

I've formatted and repaired two different disks, with Disk utility and Discwarrior.

Time Machine not backing up.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.