Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music does what do iTunes

I have 80% of my cds loaded into iTunes. What will happen to my music if I subscribe to Apple Music?

MacBook Air, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on Nov 11, 2018 5:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2018 3:26 AM

Hello raineymel,

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities and asking about your existing music prior to joining Apple Music. This help article discusses this: Access your music collection on all of your devices with Apple Music - Apple Support

It also recommends making a backup of all your music prior to enabling Apple Music stating:

Apple Music is not a backup service. Be sure to back up your iOS devices, and your Mac or PC, so that you have a copy of your music and other information if your device is ever replaced, lost, or damaged.

Voice Memos stored on your iOS device or in your iTunes Library on your Mac or PC don't upload to iCloud Music Library.

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2018 3:26 AM in response to raineymel

Hello raineymel,

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities and asking about your existing music prior to joining Apple Music. This help article discusses this: Access your music collection on all of your devices with Apple Music - Apple Support

It also recommends making a backup of all your music prior to enabling Apple Music stating:

Apple Music is not a backup service. Be sure to back up your iOS devices, and your Mac or PC, so that you have a copy of your music and other information if your device is ever replaced, lost, or damaged.

Voice Memos stored on your iOS device or in your iTunes Library on your Mac or PC don't upload to iCloud Music Library.

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

Nov 13, 2018 3:30 AM in response to Moozito

I have read that Apple Music will change some of my music files. For example it may "match" a song with another version vs what I have downloaded from my cd's. Will this change my existing CD songs in my itunes folder?

I am not clear what happens to my original songs if they are matched with another version.

I have been using Google Play music but would prefer to use Apple Music since all my music is with Itunes. Only reason for play music is I have an android phone but now that there is an Apple Music app for android I want to use Apple Musi instead in order to use my existing music along with apple streaming.

Thanks!

Nov 13, 2018 4:46 AM in response to raineymel

raineymel wrote:

I have read that Apple Music will change some of my music files. For example it may "match" a song with another version vs what I have downloaded from my cd's. Will this change my existing CD songs in my itunes folder?

I am not clear what happens to my original songs if they are matched with another version.

Hi,

Apple Music should not change the music contained in your iTunes library on your computer unless you delete the original and download the matched version. What you will get is the matched versions on your other devices and any mismatch will be on those devices.

In any event, you should always back up Your library to an external hard drive.

Jim

Apple Music does what do iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.