Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mojave 10.14.1 External Monitor Not Working

I have a 2015 MacBook Pro and an external monitor hooked up directly to it via HDMI.

External monitor works for about 1 second when connected, then screen goes black.

MacBook Pro recognizes monitor. I have reset the NVRAM (twice)

I have tried both HDMI 1 & HDMI Ports on the monitor, and replaced the HDMI cable. Issue is the same no matter what configuration I try.

Please help me!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Mojave (10.14.1)

Posted on Nov 11, 2018 7:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2019 11:33 AM

I have the same issue. Just bought a Dell P2719H, and I have a 2018 MacBook Air running on Mojave.

Tried every single fix I could google but no luck, not a blink from the screen.

Does Apple care about any of this?

25 replies

Mar 18, 2019 3:14 PM in response to burntstudios

I had this exact issue on my MacBook Air (2015). I wrote a quick blog on it which I hope you find helpful.

http://www.wonkydata.com/post/180498917779/how-to-actually-connect-two-monitors-to-a-macbook

My solution works for TWO monitors.

Now I've upgraded to a Macbook Pro, and I have a third monitor - not working.

• Three monitors not working. Only two at a time are recognized.
  • I can switch out which are plugged into my USB-c ports, and it doesn't matter which are connected, only the first two plugged in (in sequence) are recognized. I can change the sequence, and it only changes which two monitors are recognized and function. One is always left in an unrecognized state.
  • I've tried "detect displays" (does not detect a third, in any order).
  • I've rebooted x *
  • I've updated the DisplayLink drivers.
  • I've made sure that the drivers are enabled in "security & privacy" settings.
  • I've switched out all of my adaptors (CableCreation USB-C to HDMI). All three of my monitors are Samsungs: two S27D360's, one C27F390

My computer: MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports); 16GB.

Mojave: 10.14.3

@apple Help. This is ridiculous.

Nov 22, 2018 9:45 AM in response to burntstudios

Mojave 10.14.1 refuses to recognise my LG external monitor since I connected it to my new Android TV box 🙂

Pretty weird issue. All other HDMI monitors are working and the monitor is working with other HDMI sources.

Tried about everything I could find. NVRAM/SMC reset, delete windowserver preference files aso.

I think the only solution would be to reinstall the display driver, but there is no such option on macOS.

Will try to reinstall it from a TimeMachine backup, see if that fixes it.

Jan 9, 2019 3:30 AM in response to burntstudios

I have similar issue with my Macbook Pro. My external monitor is working but it turns black randomly. It turns black for a few seconds than it works again, then black again etc. ect. Sometimes no issues other times constantly 'like today'.

Sometimes it helps when I switch ports. I use the thunderbolt port to hdmi. It's like when the cable is broken or the thunderbolt port is not good, but That is not the probleem because With High sierra I never had any issues. It started the first day after upgrading to Mojave.

I have tried so many things but for as now nothing seems to work.

Any Help?

Jan 28, 2019 12:50 PM in response to Tomgarzon84

Apple is not here. This is a user to user forum.

We don't know which fixes you "googled", so in order to try to help we need to know more - you did not even say which adapter you used to connect your mac to the display.

There have been issues with connecting to displays, but they are not all the same. In some cases, it is related to docks that rely on "displaylink" software to work, in others it is not - as when connected directly via HDMI. The latter are the most puzzling.

It makes it harder yet because while certainly some people have this problem, most people don't. I have used my 2014 MBP with over a dozen different displays, with connections using direct HDMI, miniDP->HDMI, miniDP->VGA, as well as direct Thunderbolt (which I am using as I write this with an older iMac in target display mode). All of them have worked.

Jan 29, 2019 2:08 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Fair enough, here is the missing info:

I am using a 2017 MacBook Air, connecting to a Dell P2719H display I just bought. Running on Mojave.

To connect I use a MiniDP => HDMI adaptor and and HDMI cable to the computer.

I have tried the same connection on a similar MacBook Air (2016) and have tried to connect to an HP EliteDisplay E240.

Fixes: I have tried resetting NVRAM and SMC, re-installing Mojave, updating Mojave to latest version 10.14.3, I have even tried to downgrade to High Sierra (but have failed to do it, for some reason it doesn't allow me to erase the HD).

I am getting a MiniDP to DP adapter later today, which I will then try with a DP cable that came with the screen. Otherwise I am out of options.

Mojave 10.14.1 External Monitor Not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.