Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro(2018) USB-C connection to PC

Hello Everyone,

Just wondering how we can connect the iPad Pro (2018) to PC so we can use iTunes. I have a USB-C to USB-A cable however its not being recognized by either the PC or even to charge. I'm assuming maybe the iPad Pro needs a higher transfer speed cable but not sure. Hope someone can enlighten me here.

Thanks

iPad Pro Wi-Fi, iOS 12.1

Posted on Nov 11, 2018 7:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2018 6:29 PM

I have the same problem as you. You need to get yourself an USB-C PCI-Express Card and plug that into your Desktop PC. I tried all kind of cables and adapters, and none work. The PC won't even know my iPad Pro was plugged in. So finally I went to Amazon and spend $55 got myself a 2 usb-c port PCI-Express Card.

After I plug the card in, Windows 10 detected the new USB3.1 HUB. But under Device Manager, it say it can't start it. Code 10. So I reboot the PC once more time. and everything fine. Then I plug my iPad Pro in, right away I get power to my iPad Pro, so I know it is good. But it still won't detect. I have to goto Windows Device Manager again, Right Click the mouse then hit "Scan For Hardware Changes" at that point my iPad got detected and Windows made that Ding Dong song! At that point, I open my iTune and everything is fine!

So get yourself an PCI-Express USB-C Card. They have it on Amazon for about $55. Good Luck. I just got my working tonight. But for laptop Windows users, you are out of luck. Because I have yet find a cable or adapter that will work.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2018 6:29 PM in response to tBoxBBD

I have the same problem as you. You need to get yourself an USB-C PCI-Express Card and plug that into your Desktop PC. I tried all kind of cables and adapters, and none work. The PC won't even know my iPad Pro was plugged in. So finally I went to Amazon and spend $55 got myself a 2 usb-c port PCI-Express Card.

After I plug the card in, Windows 10 detected the new USB3.1 HUB. But under Device Manager, it say it can't start it. Code 10. So I reboot the PC once more time. and everything fine. Then I plug my iPad Pro in, right away I get power to my iPad Pro, so I know it is good. But it still won't detect. I have to goto Windows Device Manager again, Right Click the mouse then hit "Scan For Hardware Changes" at that point my iPad got detected and Windows made that Ding Dong song! At that point, I open my iTune and everything is fine!

So get yourself an PCI-Express USB-C Card. They have it on Amazon for about $55. Good Luck. I just got my working tonight. But for laptop Windows users, you are out of luck. Because I have yet find a cable or adapter that will work.

Nov 11, 2018 8:20 AM in response to tBoxBBD

Not all USB cables are suitable. To connect you iPad Pro, you need to ensure that it is a full data cable (some cables only have charging-pins connected) - and if you intend to use the fast-charging feature of the iPad Pro, it must also be PD (Power Delivery) compliant.

It has been observed that the iPad Pro series can be a bit “picky” about the cable. Apple cables, if available, are always likely to offer greatest compatibility - in particular for charging iPad Pro over Lightning.

If you have purchased a brand-new 2018 iPad Pro, you should have a compatible USB-C to USB-C PD cable. If you need to connect to a USB-A port on your PC, you may need to buy an additional cable. If you can, try to make sure that it supports the USB3 standard as this will provide greatest compatibility - and with a suitable PC, will give the greatest data transfer speeds.

At present, I’m not aware of Apple selling a USB-A to USB-C cable. Note also the PD is not available over USB-A (PD is not part of the USB-A specification, and as such, fast charging will not be available using USB-A cables).

Nov 21, 2018 6:30 PM in response to cclo123

Hi just to update everyone... I finally got my PCI-Express USB-C Card. Everything is working fine now.

But for laptop Windows users, you are out of luck. Because I have yet find a cable or adapter that will work.

Jan 9, 2019 1:17 AM in response to TrapezUSA

It’s no wonder this company is going down the pan. Have new iPad and no way to connect it to my laptop so I can transfer/ backup. On top of the massive price for this device they want you to spend even more on over priced high priced cables and adaptors. Sending mine back and sticking with my old one.

Jan 19, 2019 2:50 PM in response to Albut

So it's Apple's fault your laptop isn't USB C ready? There are plenty of solutions you can buy for your laptop and most aren't expensive at all. The world is quickly migrating to USB C. Apple is one of the last to do so. Times and technology change. Your solution to send your iPad back over a simple cable, is what we call a "cut off your nose to spite your face" solution.

It’s no wonder this company is going down the pan. Have new iPad and no way to connect it to my laptop so I can transfer/ backup. On top of the massive price for this device they want you to spend even more on over priced high priced cables and adaptors. Sending mine back and sticking with my old one.

iPad Pro(2018) USB-C connection to PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.