Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I recreate the iTunes Music Library.xml file

Hi,

I am using iTunes 12.9 and the iTunes Music Library.xml file I have is not working properly have not been updated for a while (2012). From what I have read, it does not seem to update anymore anyway.

However, I absolutely need this file for a third party (Serato) in order to organise my library to dj.

What solution do I have to make this work out ?

Thanks

Charles

MacBook Pro, macOS Mojave (10.14.1)

Posted on Nov 11, 2018 2:13 PM

10 replies

Nov 11, 2018 4:09 PM in response to Limnos

I've put the setting to "Share iTunes Library XML with other applications" but it does not create it anymore.

Not sure if you're talking about this setting though ?

My question comes from this statement below :

The iTunes Library.xml file is no longer used by the latest versions of Apple media applications on OS X Yosemite and later. Some third-party applications might still need it. Contact the software developer for more information.

Does this mean nothing can be done anymore ?

Nov 13, 2018 10:02 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately it did not work.

Another thing I notice is I can't export the library with File > Library > export : I can click on it and do it but the file would not be created.

If that helps, I use a Macbook pro mid 2012 with MacOs Mojave 10.14.1. I have two drives: one SSD where iTunes application is running and one HDD where my library is set up and I'm looking at both just in case.

Maybe I should reinitialise everything and put everything in one place ?

If you have 12.9 then I'm guessing I should be able to have it working!

Nov 13, 2018 3:33 PM in response to CharlesMrl

Delete the old XML file and remove it from or empty the trash. It is likely called iTunes Music Library,xml which is what it would be called when the library is on the default path. The new name would be iTunes Library.xml, or <Name of ITL>.xml if you'd given the .itl file a different name. Is the folder on the HDD the one you ran a permissions check on?

Reinstalling iTunes 12.9 on Mojave isn't possible, and wouldn't help anyway. Check under iTunes > Preferences > Advanced. Turn Share iTunes Library XML... off if it is on. Then turn it on. Close iTunes. Reopen. Is it still on? Is there an XML file in the iTunes folder?

tt2

Nov 15, 2018 12:55 PM in response to turingtest2

Hey I finally managed to make it work !

I was following this Serato Troubleshooting article without any success.

However I was missing one point about the files : not deleting the .xml and .itl but just emptying the files and keeping them in the iTunes folder.

After doing that, I opened iTunes to an empty library. I tried to check and uncheck the "Share iTunes Library XML" box and it updated successfully the .xml file.
When I added the music files it got to break the xml again, that's when I understood some files in my library were damaging the itl causing the non creation of the XML file.

So I did it again and added progressively the music files I wanted and it is working fine now.

The only inconvenience is that you loose all your library organisation like the playlists or the historical data for each song like added date or number of plays.

Hopefully it will last !

Thanks for helping me !

Cheers
Charles

How can I recreate the iTunes Music Library.xml file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.