Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem connecting at Starbucks (Macbook Pro 2016 Mojave)

My macbook pro 2016 (macOS Mojave 10.14.1 (18B75)) can't access internet at Starbucks. The network by itself works fine (connected successfully via phone); connection to the wifi spot happens and all DHCP settings are in place. However, the wifi login page doesn't pop up (neither in Safari nor in other browsers/apps) and so there's no access to any web pages. Tried turning wifi on/off, restarting the whole system to no avail, then I went through all the steps in the troubleshooting guide (How to troubleshoot Wi-Fi connectivity - Apple Support) but it didn't solve the problem.

Other free public networks (library) work fine - I get to the login page and can browse with no issues.

Is there a way to manually force the login page upon connection? Any help would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro, macOS Mojave (10.14.1)

Posted on Nov 11, 2018 3:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2018 11:46 AM

I am having the same issue. Mine is with any wi-fi hotspot that pops up a security page. The page doesn't load in the popup window. Most of the time I can cancel out of the popup, go to my browser and force network traffic which usually works. Sometimes it takes multiple attempts. This was working fine before Mojave upgrade. I never had an issue. Also, if I reboot, it will usually work the first time I connect, but then if I close my laptop, go somewhere else and then open and try to connect to a different public network with a popup authentication screen, it breaks again.

This shouldn't work this way and needs to be fixed. It's not an issue with the hardware, or the various networks (Starbucks, airport, restaurants, etc.) It is clearly an issue with Mojave.

26 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2018 11:46 AM in response to viachem

I am having the same issue. Mine is with any wi-fi hotspot that pops up a security page. The page doesn't load in the popup window. Most of the time I can cancel out of the popup, go to my browser and force network traffic which usually works. Sometimes it takes multiple attempts. This was working fine before Mojave upgrade. I never had an issue. Also, if I reboot, it will usually work the first time I connect, but then if I close my laptop, go somewhere else and then open and try to connect to a different public network with a popup authentication screen, it breaks again.

This shouldn't work this way and needs to be fixed. It's not an issue with the hardware, or the various networks (Starbucks, airport, restaurants, etc.) It is clearly an issue with Mojave.

Dec 3, 2018 7:42 PM in response to chrisrask

Thanks for reviving the topic.

My issue is still not resolved. It's a bit different from yours because the fail is specific to Starbucks wifi.

I tried entering google.com, direct IP into Chrome and Safari, before and after reboot - all to no avail.

Strangely, after connecting to the Starbucks google wifi, pinging google.com in terminal did recognize its IP (172.217.0.36) but no packets went through. So supposedly DNS server should work. However, pinging DNS directly (8.8.8.8) was as futile as pinging google.com.

It appears that chrome tries to connect to the internet but gets no response - url in the address bar changes from google.com to login page but it never loads and requests times out. I disconnected from Starbucks wifi and connected to slow xfinitywifi and refreshed the page with new url - got something resembling the login page but obviously could not login because it was under xfinitywifi. Switched back to Starbucks wifi, refreshed - no page loaded.

Then I closed laptop, drove to local library, opened it, autoconnected to its public wifi, and refreshed page in Chrome - got library login page with no problem.

User uploaded file

Jan 24, 2019 3:02 PM in response to eagles2k3

Apparently there was a security update for Mojave and for iOS 12. See https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8566745?answerId=34149862022#34149862022

I have found so far that I need to use Firefox and force it to load a page. Eventually, a slim toolbar opens under the bookmarks toolbar that has a button and a message that I need to login to the network (Duh!). That opens up the router's web page and then I'm off and running.

I will take note though of the specific pages listed by others to force this login sooner than the 2-10 minutes I currently have to do.

Cheers,

Paul

Dec 3, 2018 12:07 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

Mainly by process of elimination:

1. The issue wasn't there in the morning on the day that I upgraded and the previous year that I've had the computer and have used it every day in different locations. It started happening after the reboot once Mojave was installed. There were no other changes to the machine. (Points towards a Mojave issue)
  2. I can force traffic in the web browser and it will bring up the authentication in the browser and work fine. (indicates that it isn't an issue with network hardware, configuration issue with the machine, nor the network itself)
  3. When the MBP is rebooted, it connects normally the first time, then the issue comes back. (indicating again that it isn't a hardware, network issue, or configuration issue with the machine)

Thoughts?

Feb 21, 2019 2:41 PM in response to viachem

I've got a 2016 MBP running 10.14.2 and just ran into this. I've got an iPhone X that can connect without issue. I was able to resolve the issue by deleting the DNS/VPN server's I'd configured. On my Phone I'm using the 1.1.1.1 or 1^4 app to use DNS 1.1.1.1 for all traffic. I'd set my macbook to the same thing using their recommended settings here: https://developers.cloudflare.com/1.1.1.1/setting-up-1.1.1.1/

which is just these:

• 2606:4700:4700::1111
  • 2606:4700:4700::1001

Deleting these from Network settings > DNS tab and restarting WIFI on my MBP resolved the issue.

Weird to me because my phone has the same VPN settings and it works there (get the login/accept portal screen and then can get online, no prob) but the same VPN DNS settings were causing the issue on my laptop  ¯\_()_/¯

[EDIT] just for fun I went and put the DNS server settings back once I was connected through the login portal and sure enough, all traffic stopped again. Starbucks REALLY wants to see my traffic I guess..

For anyone coming across this, just go to Sys Pref > Network > Advanced > DNS and if there's anything in the DNS Servers column, just delete them ✌🏼

Mar 11, 2019 5:04 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

This is the answer. It is also the answer for getting a Macbook Pro to load the login screen for tata dotocom in India.

• System Preferences > Network > Select WiFi in left pane > Delete (click the "-" button) > Click Apply to Save. > close System Preferences
  • System Preferences > Network > Click “+” > Add WiFi > Click Apply to Save.
  • List item, Click Apply to Save

That's it.

Dec 3, 2018 11:52 AM in response to chrisrask

Please let us know how you determined this "It is clearly an issue with Mojave." I've traveled extensively on business to many countries and have used many public WiFi connections throughout the world using Apple and Windows computers with multiple OS versions. A common issue is the one described in this thread. Forcing traffic typically fixes the issue.

Please provide the details of how you made the determination that it is caused by Mojave.

Mar 13, 2019 6:11 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

wow, I had been struggling to get the Marriot internet log-in page to pop up during my entire stay. On my iphone and ipad it would pop up immediately at the end of a 24-hour pass just by opening any webpage. But, I could not get my Mac to do the same thing no matter how many webpages I tried to open. And, this has been a problem with other hotspots as well like the OP.

But, 17.142.160.59 worked like a charm. Thank you.

Mar 13, 2019 6:23 PM in response to viachem

Check in System Preferences if your Firewall is turned on. Some public wifi's can't get through to your Mac with the firewall turned on. Some public wifi's work perfectly with the firewall. Not to make a joke about it, but you should be thankful you can't login to Starbucks wifi. Publicly shared wifi access is very risky and opens you up to hackers.

Mar 13, 2019 7:45 PM in response to RobinMasters

why does a numeric address like 1.1.1.1 work?

what you are trying to do is force some traffic to go out. Once there is some traffic, the local Router then intercepts that traffic with its own login page. You enter your login data and you are good to go.

This used to work years ago, but Routers are getting fussier, and may not be allowing the Domain Name Server (DNS) lookup required to figure out that "apple.com" means 17.142.160.59. So If you use a numeric IP address, it skips the DNS lookup, and generates traffic immediately to get you a login page.

Problem connecting at Starbucks (Macbook Pro 2016 Mojave)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.