Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 12.1 and Photos - iPhone not "seen"

I updated my iPhone 7 to iOS12.1 on the weekend and tried to download pictures/videos to Photos on either of my old macs running El Capitan (10.11.6). Initially, the phone was identified and reluctantly the files started to transfer but then stopped - possibly because the sleep function kicked in after 1 hour.

Now, the phone is not identified on either mac and there are several items I would like to transfer. I have added a screen shot of the Photos version for information.User uploaded file

Is there a "switch" somewhere that I can reset - say a plist file or similar? I sure hope that the upgrade to iOS12.1 does not mean that I have to replace two, otherwise fully-capable, machines!

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Posted on Nov 11, 2018 11:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2018 1:39 AM

Which version of iTunes is running on your Macs? If iTunes does not recognize the iPhone, it will not be visible in Photos either, because the iPhone cannot confirm the trust. You did already restart the iPhone and unlock it? Also, did you start iTunes with the iPhone connected?

This Support documents says that you might need to reinstall iTunes, if the iPhone is not recognized, see: If your iOS 12 device isn't recognized by iTunes, you might need to upgrade macOS or iTunes - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2018 1:39 AM in response to John Huxtable

Which version of iTunes is running on your Macs? If iTunes does not recognize the iPhone, it will not be visible in Photos either, because the iPhone cannot confirm the trust. You did already restart the iPhone and unlock it? Also, did you start iTunes with the iPhone connected?

This Support documents says that you might need to reinstall iTunes, if the iPhone is not recognized, see: If your iOS 12 device isn't recognized by iTunes, you might need to upgrade macOS or iTunes - Apple Support

iOS 12.1 and Photos - iPhone not "seen"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.