Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Auto Update bricked my 5S ME296C/A last night

About 14 hours ago I clicked 'yes' to an install update message box on the phone. The update started, displayed the white apple with progress bar below ... I went to bed while the progress bar was still growing to the right. this morning the progress bar seems complete ... but the phone is no longer working. even the power button does not work now.

Has anyone else had this problem? Know how to get it working again?

iPhone 5s, iOS 12.1, ? IOS ver ?, 2018-11-11 update

Posted on Nov 12, 2018 5:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2018 3:04 PM

Thank you for the reply. It is working again now. The Battery and charging are both OK.

I did use Apple Support Chat and did get the help needed to make it work again. I used iTunes on my Windows PC to reset the phone to factory defaults ... after first trying to simply repair the upgrade, which did not work.

I wasn't sure that I would get help from Apple, this is a hand me down phone that I just recently got. I moved over a SIM card from my Samsung Galaxy phone because I wanted to try FaceTime ... and have only a couple of months experience with iPhone now.

I was pleasantly surprised by the help offered by Apple using Chat.

The young lady that helped me was quite effective.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2018 3:04 PM in response to MrBill3

Thank you for the reply. It is working again now. The Battery and charging are both OK.

I did use Apple Support Chat and did get the help needed to make it work again. I used iTunes on my Windows PC to reset the phone to factory defaults ... after first trying to simply repair the upgrade, which did not work.

I wasn't sure that I would get help from Apple, this is a hand me down phone that I just recently got. I moved over a SIM card from my Samsung Galaxy phone because I wanted to try FaceTime ... and have only a couple of months experience with iPhone now.

I was pleasantly surprised by the help offered by Apple using Chat.

The young lady that helped me was quite effective.

Auto Update bricked my 5S ME296C/A last night

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.