Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error Code: 4MEM/9/40000000: 0x8885d798

Hello,

my 27'' iMac (mid 2011) run into a grey screen of death today.

On startup it shows the apple logo and the bar filles up about half way. After that it fades to grey screen and tries to restart multiple times.

After trying safe boot and clearing SMC and NVRAM, I performed a hardware test and following error showed up:

4MEM/9/40000000: 0x8885d798

I couldn't find any information about this error code and which is the faulty hardware.

I hope someone can provide me with a solution. Thank you in advance!

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13), 27'' mid 2011

Posted on Nov 12, 2018 5:23 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

Nov 12, 2018 7:58 AM in response to stedman1

Hello,

thank your for your reply.

I tried to find the faulty RAM module but it seems like every combination of the four modules leads to the same error.

I did not upgrade RAM by myself. The only modification was to upgrade the HDD for a SSD some months ago.

So after testing all RAM modules, I switched back to the old HDD but this did not resolve the problem either. Also, right now, I'm running a verification test on the SSD but it seems ok so far.

Switching to the old HDD makes a sofware issue unlikely as well, since the working OS from months ago is on it.

Do you have any more suggestions? Kind regards.

Nov 12, 2018 3:11 PM in response to beateBesch

I don't have an answer for that since both should be compatible with that spec RAM; maybe it is the slot(s). I think the best way would be to take it to your nearest Genius Bar or AASP and have them run some diagnostics tests.

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-i5-3.1-27-inch-aluminum- mid-2011-thunderbolt-specs.html

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-i3-3.2-27-inch-aluminum- mid-2010-specs.html

Nov 12, 2018 8:04 PM in response to beateBesch

You likely have a bad ram module. Try them one at a time first instead of combinations. It's not likely that all four have failed although it is possible. You may also have a bad ram slot, again it's not likely that all four slots have failed but again anything is possible.

Make sure you’re getting them completely seated, it can take more pressure that you'd think sometimes.

Nov 25, 2018 3:23 AM in response to beateBesch

Hello guys, thank you all for your replys.

I had my iMac diagnosed by my local AASP and they said that the mainboard has failed.

Is there any solution to rapair a broken mainboard, other than replace the whole thing? Which parts of the mainboard could cause this problem?

If it really was the RAM slot(s) itself, as many of you suggested, is it possible to repair that by any means?

Thank you in advance!

Nov 25, 2018 3:40 AM in response to beateBesch

The main logic board consists of the circuit board itself and many components soldered onto it, if one of those components or one of the solder joints fail the whole board is considered to have failed. There are services that claim to be able to repair logic boards but considering the work and risk involved it probably isn't worth it. You can purchase logic boards for a few hundred dollars but the labor involved makes it cost prohibitive. It's probably time to consider a newer Mac.

Error Code: 4MEM/9/40000000: 0x8885d798

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.