Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Network home directories, why is this a deep secret for newer OS

In a 4 month old thread (apple already closed the case ?!?) user "cdhw" wrote the following

Network home directories, which is what you I think you want, still work. But, with recent versions of macOS, they tend to hammer the server.

The basic problem is that recent versions of macOS and many applications assume that reading and writing to ~/Library/ (in the user's home directory) is fast and low cost. If ~/Library lives on a server this is not a valid assumption. A login script that selectively creates links to temporary files on the local hard drive for cache files helps considerably.

We don't want to save cost because HDD/SDD are cheap. We want to save us a lot of work with the configuring of the network, speed isn't not as important as flexibility and functionality !!

Our User want to swap the desk of their iMacs. We don't want to install each user on each machine. (Do you know how much times it costs to configure about 10-15 Users on each system. This is to time consuming. We really want the home folders on the server and then everyone who has access to the Network can swap the mac. But as far as I see Apple want other strategies. Each User its own Mac, iPad etc. We don't have the resources for it.

Till 10.11 this works smoothly (only the extra effort we have to store the Passwords on the keychain on each machine, but this is another case) Our Offices with 10.11 Server/Clients are happy to work so.

Since 10.12 we only experience problems. The effective mounting of the User is not the problem. But when opening Apple Mail to configure the Mail the Mac crashes. We tried it for all the newer os (10.12, 10.13 & 10.14)

We have 2 branches with local user based user accounts. The user who are also visiting the older offices complain about the loss of functionality. The local user accounts are not the same. And is frustrating for the user to mount the Network based user account to save private files their wenn they want to open them later from another machine.

Trying to contact Apple doesn't work, because the say it is not a key feature of the OS anymore.

I have been looking to strategy papers how other handle this, but it looks like Network User Home Folders are not indexing anymore and I only find thread by other search engines?

I really can't imaging how IBM will have 270000 macs when the Network User Home Folder doesn't work properly anymore.

Tell me what to do and how i can fix it. Doesn't matter with Mac OS and filesharing or an SMB or NFS based Server

Or maybe someone can explain me how Apple is thinking about Working in large companies?

Gerard

Mac mini, macOS Sierra (10.12.3), macminiserver6, (2010) 2.66 Ghz

Posted on Nov 12, 2018 9:54 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Nov 13, 2018 6:07 AM in response to Gerard Dirks

Apple assume (or want) everyone to have a laptop these days. Being a laptop it would not use Network Home Directories. (Portable Home Directories were discontinued even longer ago by Apple.)

I would agree there is a genuine use case for Network Home Directories e.g. Education labs and even Enterprise office environments but the reality is Apple have over the last few years made it harder and harder to use and it is now effectively unusable.

A different approach which Apple also do not want you to use is what is referred to as 'Virtual Desktop Environment'. A fancy name for what is effectively a Terminal Server solution. (Strictly speaking with VDI the individual sessions are stored as virtual machines and each user 'runs' their own which they see on their client computers screen.) Here it is a combination of Apple's licensing and software issues which make this hard but not impossible to achieve. (It requires a Mac server.)

With this approach the client computer would then run a session on a (Mac) server. The users files and applications would all be stored on the server and the apps run on the server. The server would allow multiple Macs to connect and run individual sessions at the same time. There are two competing solutions to do this.

Aqua Connect - Mac Remote Desktop Services - Mac Terminal Server & Services - Virtualization Solutions for OS X - Mac Re…

and https://www.nuords.com/

Nov 13, 2018 6:47 AM in response to John Lockwood

Hello John

Thx for your detailed answer

"Apple World" is probably not our World anymore. Every User a Macbook?!? Are they Mad What about classrooms for eductions where hundreds of students share 50-100 computer in their labors. They "Think Different" and split eduction into the Rich & Poor World. The Rich buy MacBooks, the Poor use Windows Based PC's

Further in Enterprises and Clinics, special equipment ist connected to the Macs. With the garbage of USB-C/Hubs/Spiltter and Adapters these connectivity will also be on a death end. Much Industrial & Medical Equipment is still connected over "middle aged serial connector". Even Suppliers as Keyspan, are years away from actual drivers, and still working with ßetas vor Sierra & HighSierra. Mojave isn't in their mind ;-)

And Apple is pushing us all to Mojave. The deal with Adobe that future release of CC will only be available for Mojave. This is "salami swindle", but M$ will probably do the same!

Aqua Connect had in the Past a complete macbased system (9 years ago). When I now do RDP why not buying all the equipment mit Windows based. I see no advance using an expensive macOS based system as thin client. The Windows or Unix based thin clients will cost 1/8 of the price of a mac

When Apple want to frustrate so its business clients in Europe, wo probable "think different" als the USA citizens

Probably yesterdays AAPL selloff on the Nasdaq will be the last in future. But I think they want to sell iOS instead of MacOS. Our Clients will not buy "every user a macbook", so they will loose business in enterprises and schools

I am an Apple User since 1979 (Apple II) but the last years I lost my satisfaction with Apple more every day.

What to i need to advice my customers! To reorganise their companies and work in the way Apple is thinking or give time Windows Based equipment where the Network User Home Folder is still a "core" business

Nov 13, 2018 9:54 AM in response to Gerard Dirks

Gerard,

I too am frustrated by the change to "every user carries their own device." I am working on transition plans and none of them are as easy as having computers where we need them and anyone can login at any time. However, we are now out of date and stuck on the last (mostly) functional OS that permits that reasonably easily. Operating out of multiple facilities and due to the nature of our work, we will require laptops to be constantly traveling with users and periodically being left in hot or cold cars for multiple hours. The users will have a computer to be responsible for in addition to their regular work. A challenging transition to be sure but not an insurmountable one. Our main issue is that I now need to put a computer, to be carried around perpetually, in the hands of users who only need them once a week and sometimes as infrequently as once every two weeks.

It's always a funny argument that a company with a recent market value over $1 trillion has limited resources. On the other hand, if it does not generate income I totally understand the business decision to end targeting of small business and education management markets. I was willing to spend $1000 for a new version of server in decades past. It was their decision to make software essentially free. As it is, we're looking at other providers for hardware and software.

Good luck.

Nov 13, 2018 10:02 AM in response to Erich Wetzel

Their is a definition I want to use in this case; "Sympathy bonus", on a scale from 0-100 my bonus for this Cupertino based company is about 20 degrees below zero :-( The higher they fly, the deeper they fall. This all in only 7 years since the past away of Steve Jobs.

They are topping my lows for the Redmond based company in the middle of the 1990

Network home directories, why is this a deep secret for newer OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.